How cold is too cold?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been keeping R/Fs for some time now, But untill finding this site, I've kind of been guessing at a LOT of things. It is Fall now and temperatures at night could reach the upper 70s. No problems there, but in the winter, temps at night could reach the lower 50s and even upper 40s. I used to bring my tortoises inside the patio that is heated with the house as soon as the temps got under 60ish. Now I have a functional heated doghouse for that type of temps, but when would it be critical to just bring them inside for the night? What temperature is dangerously cool for a Red Footed?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I don't have an area to keep my reds out during the chillier months, but I've looked this up several times due to it getting so cold in MI! It appears that reds can tolerate about 50 degrees.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I believe anything below 60 is too cold, but it also depends how young/old they are. I personally don't like my redfoot's temperature to drop below 75 in her indoor enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I finished the heater in my dog house outside and my plan is..outdoors until about 70 degrees....in the dog house with heater until about 65 degrees and inside the house near 60 and below. I still don't know if any of my torts would seek out the heater or if I'm gonna have to shove them in the dog house and hope they don't wander back out. It's big enough inside that they could sit right under the 75 watt black light or be off to the sides.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I would keep things at 70ºF as a minimum. I recall a chart that @Redfoot NERD had posted a long time ago, it showed real temperatures in South America. That could be of use here?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I would keep things at 70ºF as a minimum. I recall a chart that @Redfoot NERD had posted a long time ago, it showed real temperatures in South America. That could be of use here?

I would love to see that. It would be great to duplicate it as much as possible for those of us with outdoor redfoots in the subtropical areas. I read that some redfoot and Cherryhead mountain native ranges actually get snow. (I'm not encouraging this!)
There has to be a seasonal cycle where they are from even if it's only a minor change in weather.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Interesting stuff...like I said I don't have an area for my torts outside (need to build one). I just put them outside to roam for hrs but I have never put them outside lower than 75 degrees. I have read up in books & on the Internet that they can tolerate cold nights 45-50 degrees in their natural habitats/environments. But snow...oh wow I didn't know that!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A lot has happened in the years since I posted that.
For one, I no longer use doghouse. I have 2 heated sleep houses. I use a set of CHE any nights that the temps drop below 60 and I've have perfect success with keeping my RF warm down to 50 degrees.
Below 49° I still bring them into my heated sun room for the night.

Bretttats

Loxahatchee
Check out kamp Kenan on you tube amazing tortoise/reptile ranch here in south florida.they can tolerate low 50s but not for a long period of time,maybe a day or 2 but if you can it's always better to bring them in where its warm I say. But if you have 40 torts kinda hard to do?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Check out kamp Kenan on you tube amazing tortoise/reptile ranch here in south florida.they can tolerate low 50s but not for a long period of time,maybe a day or 2 but if you can it's always better to bring them in where its warm I say. But if you have 40 torts kinda hard to do?
Kenan and I live in the same basic part of south Florida.
I don't always agree with his methods. But it's his financial means.
It's just my hobby.
Most of his videos are at least interesting.