How can I close an open habitat?

scubaMO

Their habitat is open on the top how can I close/cover their habitat keep humidity inside??

Jenblalock003

scubaMO said:
Their habitat is open on the top how can I close/cover their habitat keep humidity inside??

I used Yvonne's idea by covering the top of the tank with tin foil including the lights. It keeps humidity high but be careful that the temps don't get too high. I also bought aluminum cooking sheets ($2) bc it seems to be tougher than tin foil.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can use plywood, plastic, you can even use cardboard temporarily. I used a pc of plywood and cut a round hole in it for the light

alex_ornelas

newark ca
This is what i did for oliver it opens up has holes on top for his lights to hang an i can adjust them as he grows and bas a hole in the side for his humidifier hose bImageUploadedByTortForum1396246440.407838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

boris'mommy

Pleasant Hill, Ca
You can cover the top with plastic wrap and cut the holes of the lights out around it, and cover the cut hole sides with Saran Wrap so it's not a fire hazard. I made a post about it when I converted my 30 gallon glass aquarium into a closed chambered habitat a few months ago. I have pictures there. Hope this helps. I got the idea from a ton of other forum users so trust me it works. But the cheapest option to upgrade is to simply buy a Rubbermaid container and cut holes out of the lid for the lights. It keeps humidity in like a freakin charm.

scubaMO

Thank you everyone! I put foil and I've been spraying the bedding and it's been keeping it humid, usually between 60-80%. I plan on getting a different kind of bedding and a humid hide.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Lol I use press and seal wrap! Except where the light is it's foil. Peeps seems pretty happy in there!