how bout the herbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
does anyone know if parsley and cilantro are o.k?if so are they worth while?also someone posted a link too a good tort food identifier page can't seem too find it again if someone knows one please post for me thanx john

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Parsley is ok but our animals don't really like it. I would feed cilantro very infrequently. I am sure it's ok but it's so fragrant I wouldn't feed it often. We will include some basil, rosemary and such when it's a small part of a larger mixed salad.
Hope this helps.....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use both somewhat frequently. My tortoises seem to enjoy it.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
squamata said:
does anyone know if parsley and cilantro are o.k?if so are they worth while?also someone posted a link too a good tort food identifier page can't seem too find it again if someone knows one please post for me thanx john

Some like it, others dont. The only issue with buying it is it does not last long. But it is easy to grow. All herbs are edible though, but some are disliked due to rich oils like mint, or rosemary.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, but I think that cilantro is in the same family as parsley. Parsley is another one of those high in oxalates and it binds with the calcium and excretes it (like spinach).

J

jackenDonald

Cilantro is actually the same plant that coriander comes from. CIlantro is the leaves, coriander is the seeds.

but cilantro is incredible. I think parsley is bland.
Try adding finely chopped cilantro to tuna salad, fresh salad, or to an omelet .
Cilantro is the leaf of the young coriander plant, Coriandrum sativum, an herb in the parsley family, similar to anise.Parsley is the dried leaf of Petroselinum crispum, a biennial in the parsley family.
Although they are both parsley plants they have distinct different tastes.
Parsley is sweeter
Cilantro is citrusy and spicey.
Parsley comes in 2 kinds, flat leaf or curly and is compatable with most all savory dishes.
Cilantro is usued primarly in south american, and asian foods

Status
Not open for further replies.