How about this kind of wood house?

Hello

I am not sure if this is a good wood house for tortoise, but looks cool. The heat bulb is set inside the house to keep the temperature. How about this ? Where can we buy this? (This is just a pic from internet)

005CFD06-6B80-4E14-8E00-481C4926A24F.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure about the venting on the side walls. I don't do the closed enclosures that Tom encourages, but I'm pretty sure his don't have vents on the side walls.

If you can get your lights up high enough so they don't burn the tortoise shells, I think it looks like a pretty good design, but I think the lights should hang down and not mount sideways.

I'm not sure about the venting on the side walls. I don't do the closed enclosures that Tom encourages, but I'm pretty sure his don't have vents on the side walls.

If you can get your lights up high enough so they don't burn the tortoise shells, I think it looks like a pretty good design, but I think the lights should hang down and not mount sideways.

Thank you! I just want to use this for winter.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It would have to be much much bigger, but the general design could work, like Yvonne said if the lights hang straight down. What kind of tortoise? You might do better by building your own tort table with an old bookcase or use a stock tank or a very large Rubbermaid container.

It would have to be much much bigger, but the general design could work, like Yvonne said if the lights hang straight down. What kind of tortoise? You might do better by building your own tort table with an old bookcase or use a stock tank or a very large Rubbermaid container.
Thank you. I have Redfoot tortoise. Tort table is cool, but cannot be warm enough unless the house temperature is above 75F.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It sounds like you will have to have a closed chamber. Or at least semi-closed to keep the heat and humidity in. The design of that was okay it just needed to be so much bigger especially for Redfoot tortoises. check out the enclosures section and the red foot section of the forum for some ideas, I know there are some Redfoot owners that have made some great indoor enclosures.

It sounds like you will have to have a closed chamber. Or at least semi-closed to keep the heat and humidity in. The design of that was okay it just needed to be so much bigger especially for Redfoot tortoises. check out the enclosures section and the red foot section of the forum for some ideas, I know there are some Redfoot owners that have made some great indoor enclosures.
Yeah, thanks!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How big is your tort. It must be enclosed, I have no problem at all keeping temp and humidity above 90% for my redfoots.

This is 4x6 with an open doorway. All heat,uvb and light at one end. hides at cooler end. temps 33deg down to 26deg. Its the furthest away in photo. I lined it with pond liner to stop wood rot. There is room for improvement but thought i'd give you some ideas.

Thanks

Craig

photo 3 (2).JPG

How big is your tort. It must be enclosed, I have no problem at all keeping temp and humidity above 90% for my redfoots.

This is 4x6 with an open doorway. All heat,uvb and light at one end. hides at cooler end. temps 33deg down to 26deg. Its the furthest away in photo. I lined it with pond liner to stop wood rot. There is room for improvement but thought i'd give you some ideas.

Thanks

Craig

View attachment 116614

Your enclosure is amazing. How do you keep the humidity?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
The doorway just has a cloth shredded to keep heat in, there is perspex acrylic layed on top (plastic glass) to stop humidity escaping. I can take them off when feeding,cleaning etc. For substrate I use a 3" layer of coir everywhere then another layer of cyprus mulch on top of that. In the doorway there is a stone slab so they have to walk on it as they come in and out, helps there toe nails. I have a cat bowl with water in for them to drink and a large cat litter tray that they soak in. About once a week I poor water in over the torts and substrate via a watering can. This is enough to keep humidity up at 99%.
occasionally we spray water aswell. Don't think we need to though, just do it out of habit. I've put my head through the doorway before and its very humid. The heat is 2 100watt CHE on a thermostat and 1 100watt basking bulb on a timer. plus a uvb strip light.

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Indonesia

Thanks

Craig

View attachment 116614
Thats cool, could you show us the inside look of the enclosure on the far left? And what do you use the rest for?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi. Sorry about the delay.
Here are some photos. One thing I should have done differently is take the pond liner right to the top inside the enclosure. I also tried a supposedly strong tape to hold it in place. I ended up stapling it to the wood. If you do this make sure the staples are flush to the wood and not stuck out, knock them in with a hammer if need be. On my newer table I stapled it all the way to the top and this worked fine. Also don't pull the liner tight, best left a bit loose so it settles in the corners.
On the right hand side I made 2 hides, by screwing vertical logs together and fixing into position. No screws are visible as they are covered by the next log and so on. But not just placed in a straight line, in curves so to create corners. Then I covered this end with fake plants that I can remove for cleaning.
The next time I clean them out I'm going to re-line it.
I could have built the whole enclosure higher and had the heat lamps inside the enclosure, however there would be more air to get warm and humid. This way you can keep the enclosure lower so its easier to maintain humidity levels. Its not too low though. Because the heat lamps are sat on circles cut out of the wood the torts can't touch the bulbs even if they could reach. Keep it safe for torts should always be in mind. Mine wander within this room only. there are no electric cables they can reach and the door can not be opened and trap a tortoise.

IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1908.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1911.JPG IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1913.JPG IMG_1914.JPG IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1925.JPG so to create a few corners.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Something else I'm trying is fake grass mats. They love it, more natural than walking on wood and better for there posture. The grass is on a rubber mat and is easily cleaned. I got one to pooh on a mat and it cleaned off easily. I'm planning for bigger things for my torts, some people don't have that option and I believe if everyone tried to put some thought into indoor keeping it could be safer and as natural as can be indoors. Yes its not ideal, but it happens.
This is George loving it on his new grass mat. The mats also keep cold coming through the floor. The fake grass is very short and hard to pull out, I tried pulling a piece out with pliers and it would have ripped the mat first.
I'm thinking of having quite a few mats down like a big carpet. No point using a big carpet cause with mats you can just pull up 1IMG_1934.JPG mat and clean easily.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Something else I'm trying is fake grass mats. They love it, more natural than walking on wood and better for there posture. The grass is on a rubber mat and is easily cleaned. I got one to pooh on a mat and it cleaned off easily. I'm planning for bigger things for my torts, some people don't have that option and I believe if everyone tried to put some thought into indoor keeping it could be safer and as natural as can be indoors. Yes its not ideal, but it happens.
This is George loving it on his new grass mat. The mats also keep cold coming through the floor. The fake grass is very short and hard to pull out, I tried pulling a piece out with pliers and it would have ripped the mat first.
I'm thinking of having quite a few mats down like a big carpet. No point using a big carpet cause with mats you can just pull up 1View attachment 116908 mat and clean easily.
I just LOVE your setups! They are beautiful and practical!:D
Do you know what the name of that palm like bush is? I've been looking for those plant's names everywhere o_O