How about an American safari in Colorado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Thanks, everyone, for your comments on my recent thread, "A reptile garden in Denver?" I do have another idea for one more wildlife experience. As you know, people flock to Africa and India from all over the world to witness its spectacular wildlife. People also come from all over to Yellowstone, the world's first national park. As amazing as Yellowstone is, however, it is missing a few things.

In the not-so-distant past, the Great Plains harbored as spectacular a megafauna as Africa and India, complete with related ruminants (bison, pronghorn, elk, and deer) that are still around, as well as other related animals (horses, camels, llamas, elephants, cheetahs, lions) that are now gone. Only the giant ground sloths have no large cousins that are still around. Of the others, only today's horses and lions are of the same or a sister species. The rest are in different species or even genera. Although it would be impractical to introduce camels, llamas, elephants, and cheetahs, or to reintroduce lions, horses were already reintroduced 500 years ago, and now live as feral mustangs (Donlan et al. 2005, attached).

Since the Great Plains have been depopulating for decades, there now exists the opportunity to rewild parts of the region with megafauna. People would benefit from them with ecotourism and ranching, as well as research and education. I hope that someday the federal government makes a Great Plains National Park. Until then, I was thinking of creating a safari park in eastern Colorado. The park would be on hundreds to thousands of acres, and would include bison, elk, pronghorn, deer, horses, and prairie dogs in the herbivore guild, as well as coyotes, wolves, cougars, bears, ferrets, and other species in the carnivore guild. People would be able to come visit, take a drive through, check out the visitor center, and stay in onsite lodging. All this would be expensive, of course, but at least care for the animals would be relatively simple because they are are native.

I think people would be fascinated by an American safari like this, and by the spectacle of great herds on the plains. I was thinking of getting a business loan and sponsorship after I graduate to start this park. Does this sound like it would be a great experience for visitors? How about feasibility? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :D

Attachments

• Donlan et al. 2005 - Pleistocene rewilding Nature.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is a type of drive through safari park in Ohio. Not as elaborate as you are talking about but, they do have giraffes, zebras, bison, monkeys, I can't think of any more. Now, I visited this park way back in 1980. I also have a cousin that has been there since, but still quite a few years ago. I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. You might be able to google it and possibly get some ideas from them. I think it sounds like a great idea. The lodging and restaurant would make it a great vacation spot. Add enough fun and interesting things to see and do and you could easily fill it with weekly vacationers. Keep the dream and ambition up until the projects are complete. I want to visit either one.:D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
wellington said:
There is a type of drive through safari park in Ohio. Not as elaborate as you are talking about but, they do have giraffes, zebras, bison, monkeys, I can't think of any more. Now, I visited this park way back in 1980. I also have a cousin that has been there since, but still quite a few years ago. I'm not sure if they are still in business or not. You might be able to google it and possibly get some ideas from them. I think it sounds like a great idea. The lodging and restaurant would make it a great vacation spot. Add enough fun and interesting things to see and do and you could easily fill it with weekly vacationers. Keep the dream and ambition up until the projects are complete. I want to visit either one.:D

I've been to several drive-through safaris, including the original Lion Country Safari parks in Florida and California, both founded by a couple of South African guys in the 60s, who wanted to give Americans the safari experience. The one in California has since gone out of business, with most of its animals having been incorporated into the San Diego Wild Animal Park, another beautiful place, except instead of a drive-through, it has a tram that goes around the perimeter. Over the summer, my wife and I also visited a drive-through safari in Ontario, Canada, just an hour's drive west of Niagara Falls, and that was great, too. There are also a few other such safaris elsewhere in America, including Missouri, Oklahoma, and few others. There are none in Colorado, and that's partly why I think this would work.

I went on safari in Kenya and Tanzania years ago. Seeing great herds on the plains is a very memorable experience, as America's history books can attest to about our own megafauna. Today's industrial agribusinesses are unsustainable, and in my own way, I'd like to help repopulate the plains with herds that are not only beautiful, but useful, too. Thanks for your comments. Looking forward to what others may have to say, too. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have to say, this would not be something I would pay to visit, unlike your other idea. To many of the animals are common ones I can see for free ust driving around. The exception would be the wolves, panther, and bears. Those are common in zoos and I only wish to see wild ones myself now. (well already saw wild wolves). Even with paying money, with as large of an exhibit as your thinking, I doubt I would see them. You also would have a lot of issues with getting such a place pass the folks living in the area. Ranches and parents alike would fear one getting loose.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
You see large herds of bison and elk while driving around?

As for the carnivores, I can see that, although if the entire area were fenced in, I think that would quell any neighbors' fears.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
You see large herds of bison and elk while driving around?

As for the carnivores, I can see that, although if the entire area were fenced in, I think that would quell any neighbors' fears.

Yes, I do. The bison of course are captive animals. The elk I saw several times. The bigger herds were on I80 at the El Mountain area. Smaller herds in AZ.

I don't think fences will quell the fears.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hmm. I also see relatively small herds of bison here in Colorado, off I-70 in Genessee (foothills), and at my study site at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge, just north of Denver. I also see large herds of elk in Rocky Mountain National Park; they are so numerous as to wander through the neighboring town of Estes Park. Congress even signed a bill that allowed their culling, and that has been going on for a few years. Happily, I also see quite a few pronghorn antelope in South Park near Lake Jefferson.

But again, I think all of this pales in comparison to the spectacle of large, lively mixed herds milling about on the plains, their prime habitat. You still see wild pronghorn every now and then, and even captive bison, but elk have not been allowed back on their old stomping grounds in almost a century.

Well, what can I say? If you don't like it, you don't like it, and thank you for your response. However, what I'm proposing is not just a zoo; it's rewilding, and I think that would be quite a sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.