Park Ranger looking to adopt a sulcata in Louisiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Candy said:
I can't believe that you haven't seen all of the Sulcata's that people have been trying to get rid of or that have died on this site since I started the thread "Why do people buy Sulcata's". There have been so many I couldn't believe it.

That argument doesn't make it right by any means. You are a breeder not a rescue are you? I understand there are two sides to a story, but to me what happens in nature is natural, but bring man into it and the whole story changes. Money, money and more money.

And for every one that dies on a forum, there's 1,000 out there that are doing well, making many people happy. People come to forums when they're having problems or needing help with questions. They don't come to forums to tell everyone that they have a sulcata that is making their lives better.

I'm not a rescue, but I have no problem taking in any tortoises in my area that need me. I've looked before and I'll look again, but there's never anything in Southern NV that needs a home.

The "money money" argument is a lame argument. It's an argument that is used against people when no better argument can be made. I'd love for you to name me some people that are making big bucks by breeding sulcatas.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
TylerStewart said:
Candy said:
I can't believe that you haven't seen all of the Sulcata's that people have been trying to get rid of or that have died on this site since I started the thread "Why do people buy Sulcata's". There have been so many I couldn't believe it.

That argument doesn't make it right by any means. You are a breeder not a rescue are you? I understand there are two sides to a story, but to me what happens in nature is natural, but bring man into it and the whole story changes. Money, money and more money.

And for every one that dies on a forum, there's 1,000 out there that are doing well, making many people happy. People come to forums when they're having problems or needing help with questions. They don't come to forums to tell everyone that they have a sulcata that is making their lives better.

I'm not a rescue, but I have no problem taking in any tortoises in my area that need me. I've looked before and I'll look again, but there's never anything in Southern NV that needs a home.

The "money money" argument is a lame argument. It's an argument that is used against people when no better argument can be made. I'd love for you to name me some people that are making big bucks by breeding sulcatas.

I disagree on the making money "lame argument". I did not say anything about how much money is to be made. The thing about it is that anyone can do it that's why they are being sold at 50 to 70 dollars a shot and that's why there are so many of them at the expo's and at petstores. They're an easy sell. It's how they are being breed and who are breeding them that bothers me. There was one recently on here selling them that's why I started the thread that I started. I am still having a hard time believing that here in California after all of the ones that I've seen as little babies being sold that it's a good thing to be doing.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Sulcata are the only tortoise I have ever seen being offered at an even lower price when you take lots of "ten or more".

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
As you say... you're entitled to your opinion.

...and Yvonne does know better. I've given a few presentations to the Inland Empire CTTC chapter and have met Yvonne on all those occasions.

I'll leave it at that. You might want to look into that burr under the saddle.

Meg90 said:
Someone just wants to argue.

If you have a bad day, take the stick poking somewhere else.

It sickens me what people do to tortoises and turtles, and the animals can make no noise to even complain. Its sick that "the best intentions" are an excuse for deforming an animal for life, and ruining its chances of behaving as it naturally would.

Again, it goes back to the excess amount of breeders with shite info that sell their babies dirt cheap just so people will buy them.

I think your posts are missing something....that good old IMO. Your opinion is no more correct than is mine. And to say "you are incorrect" and "you know better" is crass, and arrogant IMO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
TylerStewart said:
Nobody denies that some sulcatas get mistreated, impulse purchased, neglected. It just sickens me that you guys keep showing the bad while hiding the good. Show both sides of the story. Many many people every year buy baby sulcatas and keep them happy successfully for years and years.

That's because I can only speak from my own experience. The only sulcatas that I get in are the mistreated ones. I don't visit other tortoise keepers, and they don't bring their pretty, well-kept tortoises to visit me. So I speak from what I personally know about.

-EJ said:
As you say... you're entitled to your opinion.

...and Yvonne does know better. I've given a few presentations to the Inland Empire CTTC chapter and have met Yvonne on all those occasions.

I'll leave it at that. You might want to look into that burr under the saddle.

Now I understand some of your comments on other threads. Ed, you are seriously mixing me up with someone else. I've never been to an Inland Empire meeting. The only meetings I've ever attended in SoCal were a few board meetings in Arcadia.

You did come and speak at one of our meetings here in Fresno, but that was Cen-Val. And you came to my house on that occasion. So I thought that you were remembering me. But I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Why does it seem that alot of the sulcatas that people are referring to in rescues are in california? I'm just asking, not trying to say CA is bad but there aren't a lot here in Washingon that I see. And when people hear I have torts they mostly want to give me RES. I've been offered DOZENS!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Sorry... wrong name for the CTTC chapter.

It was actually 2 or more meetings. The first one a projector could not be found... and yall had to be tortured by my speaking for an hour. It could have not been that bad because I was invited back (I do understand the despiration for speakers at such meetings.)

I do remember your house and the setup you recently posted photos of.

To put this in place... you took me to a womans house who had a fantastic collection (I'll not say more)... is that a nonrecollection

Oh... I also remember the fantastic hospitality.

emysemys said:
Now I understand some of your comments on other threads. Ed, you are seriously mixing me up with someone else. I've never been to an Inland Empire meeting. The only meetings I've ever attended in SoCal were a few board meetings in Arcadia.

You did come and speak at one of our meetings here in Fresno, but that was Cen-Val. And you came to my house on that occasion. So I thought that you were remembering me. But I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

It is nation wide. Those in cooler climates do realize that they can become a problem.

reptylefreek said:
Why does it seem that alot of the sulcatas that people are referring to in rescues are in california? I'm just asking, not trying to say CA is bad but there aren't a lot here in Washingon that I see. And when people hear I have torts they mostly want to give me RES. I've been offered DOZENS!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
-EJ said:
To put this in place... you took me to a womans house who had a fantastic collection (I'll not say more)... is that a nonrecollection

It is a non-recollection on my part. I remember picking you up at the airport and bringing you to my house, then to the meeting, but I don't remember taking you someplace else. Did I take you to Ella's house? Enough said about that! But that's old age creeping up on me. And I hope the last comment wasn't sarcasm, because I really do try to be hospitable.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I'm guessing Ella was the older woman who had that nice collection... inside and out.

It totally was not. I was treated like royalty and so remember it. What saddens me is the second trip... and the political split. I drove that time.

emysemys said:
-EJ said:

It is a non-recollection on my part. I remember picking you up at the airport and bringing you to my house, then to the meeting, but I don't remember taking you someplace else. Did I take you to Ella's house? Enough said about that! But that's old age creeping up on me. And I hope the last comment wasn't sarcasm, because I really do try to be hospitable.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
By now the original poster has probably decided a tortoise is a really, really bad idea.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I mentioned that a while... but not in the same words.

Shelly said:
By now the original poster has probably decided a tortoise is a really, really bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.