Hovabator set up help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmajh

5 Year Member
I'm getting soon in the post a hovabator as my new female hermann lays eggs - previous owner never incubated but I would like to be prepared so incubator is on the way. Can someone please advise how I should set it up once eggs do appear. Should i put eggs in vermiculite and in some sort of tub with lid then put in hova? And is a tray of water required? I've read up on others using a hova but mostly for lizards etc so need some advice for my torts. Thank you and hopefully I'll have lots of time to practise with it before she springs eggs on me!! Also will I need to buy a hygrometer or does it come with one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It takes a couple hours of messing with the temp to get it where you want it, so you set the temp first before you put any eggs in. I have used egg cartons. That works well for me. I put a bit of moistened vermiculite in each cup then nestle one egg per cup down into the vermiculite. The incubator has receptacles in the bottom that you fill with water, and I also put a small dish of water. I don't know about Hermann's, but with the kinds of tortoises that I hatch, the last couple weeks before the eggs are ready to hatch I start to spray them with warm water at least once a day.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Honestly i home made one out of a stirophome ice chest and works terrific. You can get those ice chest at you local pet store where they sell fish and will give you one. And then i put a fish heater in the water then i put a brick so i can put the plastic shoe box with vermiculite. Then cut the lid with little holes every where so the moisture can escape. This works great!

emmajh

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
It takes a couple hours of messing with the temp to get it where you want it, so you set the temp first before you put any eggs in. I have used egg cartons. That works well for me. I put a bit of moistened vermiculite in each cup then nestle one egg per cup down into the vermiculite. The incubator has receptacles in the bottom that you fill with water, and I also put a small dish of water. I don't know about Hermann's, but with the kinds of tortoises that I hatch, the last couple weeks before the eggs are ready to hatch I start to spray them with warm water at least once a day.

That's great thank you did you cover egg
Box at all or leave the lid on it or is this not necessary? Thanks for the help

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It usually takes about 24 hours to get the tempertures right (where you want them). You'll need a good thermometer and a hygrometer (a hair hygrometer is best). Egg cartons work or you can just use a plastic container with vermiculite in it. I don't wet the vermiculite, but you can do that. Just that it's easy to over do the water and have the eggs soak up to much water and split. I don't cover the containers as the growing embryos need plenty of oxygen.
Temperatures should be between 28C and 32C. 28C will get you more males than females and 32C will get you more females than males. You want to shoot for 70% humidity.

Danny

emmajh

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It usually takes about 24 hours to get the tempertures right (where you want them). You'll need a good thermometer and a hygrometer (a hair hygrometer is best). Egg cartons work or you can just use a plastic container with vermiculite in it. I don't wet the vermiculite, but you can do that. Just that it's easy to over do the water and have the eggs soak up to much water and split. I don't cover the containers as the growing embryos need plenty of oxygen.
Temperatures should be between 28C and 32C. 28C will get you more males than females and 32C will get you more females than males. You want to shoot for 70% humidity.

Danny

thats excellent thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.