Housing a sulcata and cherry head hatchling together?

Blayne

curious about housing one sulcata and one cherry head together (both hatchlings)... Because they both have similar requirements with the higher humidity and whatnot. Should this be avoided or not? Because it would only be for the time being while they're hatchlings. Thoughts?

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Welcome to the Tortoise forum.
There is lots of great information you can find here. The recommended threads should be super helpful.

Do not mix. Hope you are enjoying the fun of new little torts :) :tort:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you already have the two tortoises?
Two of any species should not be housed together. (MIXED)
Even two of the exact same type should not be kept together.
If you have already obtained the two....You'll need to build two enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Blayne, and welcome to the Forum!

I go a bit against the rules here in my home. If I hatched out the eggs myself, I sometimes mix species. But I keep like for like. For example, I currently have YF, box turtle and Manouria hatchlings in the same habitat. These babies all come from a similar environment. I also have leopard babies, and even though they should be kept the same as the rain forest tortoises as babies, because they come from a different environment than the rain forest babies, I wouldn't put them together.

Another thing to consider is the nature of the species. The sulcata is much more outgoing than the RF. He might really intimidate the more docile RF tortoise. And, besides that, these tortoise probably are coming from different breeders, so my advice is to keep them separated.

Blayne

Do you already have the two tortoises?
Two of any species should not be housed together. (MIXED)
Even two of the exact same type should not be kept together.
If you have already obtained the two....You'll need to build two enclosures.
Yeah I already have them and I had already planned to keep them separate- just curious about it, if it was possible/worth doing lol

Blayne

Hi Blayne, and welcome to the Forum!

I go a bit against the rules here in my home. If I hatched out the eggs myself, I sometimes mix species. But I keep like for like. For example, I currently have YF, box turtle and Manouria hatchlings in the same habitat. These babies all come from a similar environment. I also have leopard babies, and even though they should be kept the same as the rain forest tortoises as babies, because they come from a different environment than the rain forest babies, I wouldn't put them together.

Another thing to consider is the nature of the species. The sulcata is much more outgoing than the RF. He might really intimidate the more docile RF tortoise. And, besides that, these tortoise probably are coming from different breeders, so my advice is to keep them separated.
I see what you're saying! Makes sense.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
i have two russians and they cannot be housed together. they do fine outside for short periods of time but then my older one bullies the younger one and it could get alot worse if they were housed together. no ones wants to wake up to an injured tortoise.