Horsfield weight gain

GenevieveGarfoot

Location (City and/or State)
nottingham
Hi, i got a horsfield rescue and she ( i think she's a she) put a lot of weight on since we have rescued her. nearly 50 grams in 3 months. i have only fed her once a day and fed her less than the size of her shell. can this be normal at all? the rescue said they thought she was 4-5 years old but have no confirmation. we was told she was kept in a tiny enclosure and probably not fed all that well. Just trying to confirm that she is healthy :) thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpeg
    IMG_7339.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi and welcome from another UK member, your looking for slow steady growth ensuring a smooth shell. Heat, light, diet, substrate, humidity, enclosure size, calcium etc... all play a massive part. I would say 50g in 3 months during winter months is actually a lot but great your weighing as I find it invaluable. I provide fresh water and fresh greens / dandelions around 7.00am and tidy up and remove the greens around 16.00 and replenish fresh water and leave Speedy to sleep. I also add a cuttlefish into the enc and it gets pecked and trodden on regularly.
Please read this link to check set up and ask questions.