Horsfield health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca48

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wonder if you could give me some advice...
My 2 male Horsfields (4year old males) live in an open topped tortoise table in a draught free room and are now separated due to aggression that occurred a few months ago.
I have noticed that they aren't very active.
I have had them checked by the vet who said they were healthy. My local experts at the pet shop said that the UV light may need replacing which I did. They have the heat set at 85, a cooler end and a cave to sleep in.
When in my mams bright sunny room they were constantly running around. Basically my question is, should I buy a light to brighten up their enclosure? Is there a particular light that will liven them up? I bath them daily and then they eat and then they sleep. Someone told me that if the rooms a little dull they will think its a winters day.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
Yes extra light would help a lot. :D Depending on how big your table is, I'd get the longest florscent light that will fit on the table. Try to buy regular bulbs that have the highest lumen (how they measure light) output.

Danny

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have added extra light to some of our tortoises and its very necessary for our uromastyx lizard. We bought a compact full spectrum fluorescent online that is very high in light output (2650 lumens) but doesn't add a lot of heat. Its one of those twistie looking bulbs and will screw into any regular light fixture, like a clamp lamp. You can find them many places online for about $9 like this place which shipped quick to us http://www.1000bulbs.com/40-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/6728/

We have also bought different compact flluorescent bulbs from Costco/Walmart type stores, but they are always lesser lumens. The long tube style of fluorescent bulbs have even higher light output, but of course require a certain style of fixture to screw/plug in to.

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fernley Nevada
In the hot summer days they tend to slow down.They are trying to keep cool.
They go in fazes,Winter they slow down from the cold,spring the are more active and in the summer they slow down from the heat and in the fall they are more active.
Also the temps on the hot side,under the light,on top of substrate should be at 95 degrees and cool side between 65 to 75 degrees.
The bulb should provide uva/b.
I have a t-rex bulb, uva/b and heat all in one.
Here a great care sheet I go by, http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm
Hope this helps ya

Status
Not open for further replies.