Horsefield tortoise general behaviour

faz669

Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham
Hi

I have a two and a half year Horsefield tortoise who is eating, sleeping and excreting normally like clockwork. However I do have this niggling feeling that he is bored and I wanted to ask others about there Horsefields behaviour.

His enclosure is as big as I could make it and the substrate is more than deep enough to burrow. He has an outdoor one for when the weathers nice as well as a closed top humid hide. I have tried bridges, logs, stones, a pot to dig out, a little jingly ball and lots of space to walk, as well switching his food up day to day. But often I catch him just staring into nothing, and as soon as I put my hand in the enclosure he will come trotting over to me. Almost as if he was bored before?

Do you guys have other ways to entertain your tort? am I reading way too deep into this? everytime I put something in the enclosure he will come running up all curious and happy, but its when I watch him on his own that he seems a little down?

Also roughly how long a day does a nearly 3 year old horsefield sleep for? because he sleeps for a clean 12/13 hours and dozes off throughout the day couple times too...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is as big as you can do? They need. Minimum of a 4x8 foot. Some build a second level when space is limited
How much do you feed him? He likely runs to your hand, because you and the hand is the food god. He may be hungry. They should be fed daily and enough food they can graze on and off all day as they please.
Tortoises don't need to be entertained. They need proper care, diet, hydration, heat, uvb and space. Do you have any plants in the enclosure? Plants, a low sided water dish, food slate plate and one hide is all that really needs to be in the enclosure besides substrate, heat, light, uvb, humidity, about 30 to 50% for an adult.

faz669

Nottingham
How big is as big as you can do? They need. Minimum of a 4x8 foot. Some build a second level when space is limited
How much do you feed him? He likely runs to your hand, because you and the hand is the food god. He may be hungry. They should be fed daily and enough food they can graze on and off all day as they please.
Tortoises don't need to be entertained. They need proper care, diet, hydration, heat, uvb and space. Do you have any plants in the enclosure? Plants, a low sided water dish, food slate plate and one hide is all that really needs to be in the enclosure besides substrate, heat, light, uvb, humidity, about 30 to 50% for an adult.
Hi, thanks for your reply!

its a 4x6 ft enclosure but his outdoor one is bigger for when the weather is nice. Its also quiet deep with substrate. We are in the process of moving out and looking to dedicate a personalized bedroom to him soon.

So im glad you mentioned this, I feed him just over his shell size in food once a day but he eats like mad and always has done since we got him. Just inhales it. We got him plants a couple times in his enclosure too and he just eats them all in a day or two. I scatter his food all around the place so he has to kinda find it for himself, he sniffs them all out in no time. Is this normal behavior?

Yes I agree with you about thinking my hand is the food god, I just worry about him looking bored when he thinks im not looking then looking so lively when he sees me!

I have all the other things you listed except my humidity sits at 80 on his humid side and around 30 on his warm side. He exercises well climbs all kind of things and is a very inquisitive tortoise, I have no qualms about his physical health to be honest I just wondered if there are other ways people entertain them as silly as that sounds lol.

Also is the sleeping normal too? sleeping 13 hours then dozing off couple times throughout the day too?

Thank you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

its a 4x6 ft enclosure but his outdoor one is bigger for when the weather is nice. Its also quiet deep with substrate. We are in the process of moving out and looking to dedicate a personalized bedroom to him soon.

So im glad you mentioned this, I feed him just over his shell size in food once a day but he eats like mad and always has done since we got him. Just inhales it. We got him plants a couple times in his enclosure too and he just eats them all in a day or two. I scatter his food all around the place so he has to kinda find it for himself, he sniffs them all out in no time. Is this normal behavior?

Yes I agree with you about thinking my hand is the food god, I just worry about him looking bored when he thinks im not looking then looking so lively when he sees me!

I have all the other things you listed except my humidity sits at 80 on his humid side and around 30 on his warm side. He exercises well climbs all kind of things and is a very inquisitive tortoise, I have no qualms about his physical health to be honest I just wondered if there are other ways people entertain them as silly as that sounds lol.

Also is the sleeping normal too? sleeping 13 hours then dozing off couple times throughout the day too?

Thank you!
I've watched my lazy little Russian just sit for hours studying a situation. He can be curious though if he sees me. It used to be stressful to him. But now the curiosity is strictly DO I GET TO GO OUTSIDE!!!??? Please please They are pretty lazy usually until they're not 🐢. Don't trust them 🤗

lildawg535

Battle Creek

Thank you!
Hi yes I totally get where you're coming from. I think we are just overly emotional and worry about our babies.lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure the enclosure is brightly lit up and lights on for at least 12 hours. Also do let it get lower then 70 for now at night. Once it's more stable warmer temps outside then you don't need to keep night temps above 70. This will help keep them from getting in that brumating/sleeping mode This time of year some are still brumating while some others are deciding if they should stay up or go back to brumating. The weather is so up and down this time of year in most places. Yes, they know what's going on outside, even though they are inside.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think what will prevent any tortoise from getting "bored" are just these simple things: having a large enough enclosure with lots of space to walk around, having his human check him out and bring his food every day, and having the right setup with correct temps and humidity. Oh...and having available water to drink and soak and 💩 in if he wants to.