Horsefield enclosure - flies and bugs

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,

I don’t actually have this issue yet, but it’s another anxiety I have as a new tortoise owner. Sully’s table is spot cleaned on a daily basis and he tends to do his business in his soaking time, so it’s pretty clean. Substrate is changed every 3-4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has found any bugs or flies that have been attracted? Sounds like my worst nightmare, again just something I read and I’m anxious about! I would love to hear your guys experiences!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi all,

I don’t actually have this issue yet, but it’s another anxiety I have as a new tortoise owner. Sully’s table is spot cleaned on a daily basis and he tends to do his business in his soaking time, so it’s pretty clean. Substrate is changed every 3-4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has found any bugs or flies that have been attracted? Sounds like my worst nightmare, again just something I read and I’m anxious about! I would love to hear your guys experiences!
I've seen tiny springtails and gnats at times.
Neither are "bad". They're part of the "waste team"
As often as you change your substrate, you probably will never have a bug issue.

Last edited: