Fruit Flies and Gnats

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi,

I’ve noticed a few fruit flies and/or gnats in my tortoise table lately now the weather is warming up and the windows are open even more. I know they won’t harm my tort but I don’t want them in the house.
I clean his table twice a day but his food is left in there from 6am to 4pm whilst we’re at work.

Could someone advise on the best way to kill the flies and discourage them from re-appearing please?

Thank you :)

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Hi! It’s just one of those things that sometimes comes with keeping animals like this. I have the same problem and find that they sometimes are in the substrate when you buy it. They also are drawn to rotting food/organic matter. I usually just make a couple of vinegar traps (google it) and thin them out until I can see them anymore. Good luck!

aqualungs

Perry, OH
They go after my orchids too. That’s when I know it’s time to change the bark. Usually after 1-2 years.
Their biggest enemy is wind. They can’t land on my orchid substrate very well with a little wind. Also had to let things dry out in between watering.. which is not good for some water loving orchids. I guess what I’m saying is you can’t get rid of them without consequence. You have to keep Down their numbers if possible.