Horsefield doesnt seem happy

LisaGG

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just acquired a horsefield from someone who didn't want him anymore. We want to make him as happy and healthy as possible as we don't think he has been looked after as well as he should have been. We have had him 3 days now but he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. He ate quite a bit on the first day but has no interest in food until late evening. He ate one piece of kale last night and I've just tried him with some dandelion leaves but he showed no interest. I've just ordered a proper uv light for him as I don't think the one they've given us is a uv one and it's only 75 Watts. I was wondering if his shell looked healthy and what we can do to improve his enclosure

Attachments

• 20220523_194857.jpg
    20220523_194857.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220523_194920.jpg
    20220523_194920.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the care sheets that are available. You will find what you need. Give your tortoise a daily soak in warm water.

Don't worry: tortoises do not like change. Therefore, it'll take your tortoise time to get used to and adapt to a new environment, new home, new ambient and so on.

LisaGG

United Kingdom
A warm welcome to the forum.

Please read the care sheets that are available. You will find what you need. Give your tortoise a daily soak in warm water.

Don't worry: tortoises do not like change. Therefore, it'll take your tortoise time to get used to and adapt to a new environment, new home, new ambient and so on.
Thank you. We gave him a bath yesterday which he didn't seem too impressed with but we didn't keep him in it for long as was conscious about the water going cold really quickly. How long does he need to soak for?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
One thing I would do is give him a long warm soak for 15-20 minutes, making sure the water stays warm, and also spray down the whole enclosure and moisten the substrate. It does look pretty dry. I agree with reading the care sheets. Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you. We gave him a bath yesterday which he didn't seem too impressed with but we didn't keep him in it for long as was conscious about the water going cold really quickly. How long does he need to soak for?
For approximately how long did you soak him? I soak my tortoise for 20 to 30 minutes and I keep checking the temperature of the water. If I find that it has cooled down I change it.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, we have just acquired a horsefield from someone who didn't want him anymore. We want to make him as happy and healthy as possible as we don't think he has been looked after as well as he should have been. We have had him 3 days now but he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. He ate quite a bit on the first day but has no interest in food until late evening. He ate one piece of kale last night and I've just tried him with some dandelion leaves but he showed no interest. I've just ordered a proper uv light for him as I don't think the one they've given us is a uv one and it's only 75 Watts. I was wondering if his shell looked healthy and what we can do to improve his enclosure
Most of the care info given for tortoises by pet shops, vets and the internet is all wrong. They/we have been repeating the same wrong info for decades. Here is the correct care info. Read through this and see where you might need to make some changes. Typically, the lighting, UV, temperatures, substrate, diet info and soaking routine all need to be changed. Please feel free to question any of this:

When you find what's wrong and correct it, the appetite should come back and get better. Also remember that tortoises typically take at least a few days to settle in to a new place.

LisaGG

United Kingdom
One thing I would do is give him a long warm soak for 15-20 minutes, making sure the water stays warm, and also spray down the whole enclosure and moisten the substrate. It does look pretty dry. I agree with reading the care sheets. Good luck!
How do you recommend to keep the water warm for so long?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you recommend to keep the water warm for so long?
-You can soak them somewhere warm, like in the enclosure near the heat lamp.
-You can have two tubs. When the water cools in one, move the tort to the other one with fresh warm water. Repeat as needed every few minutes.
-You can trickle warm water into the tub and dump off the excess.
-In warm climates you can soak them in the sun during warm weather.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
2 lamps are needed, 1 for uvb one for basking.
Definitely needs more light russian tortoises enjoy the sun light shining if kept indoors. You want to prevent it from thinking it's always dark.. as they may want to hibernate more.

LisaGG

United Kingdom
Thank you all for your advice. We have changed the bulb today as it wasn't a uv one and also wasn't giving enough heat out. He's had a good soak tonight too and that made him have a wee and poo. He's also had a good munch on some dandelion leaves. We have planted a baby spider plant for him to nibble on too. We are happier he seems more content now. We just need to build him a nice big enclosure now !

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your advice. We have changed the bulb today as it wasn't a uv one and also wasn't giving enough heat out. He's had a good soak tonight too and that made him have a wee and poo. He's also had a good munch on some dandelion leaves. We have planted a baby spider plant for him to nibble on too. We are happier he seems more content now. We just need to build him a nice big enclosure now !
Hello Lisa and welcome from Devon,I am very glad you have taken over this tortoise, as he will be much happier with the care you are giving him. What is his name?
If you are able to take him outside at all, he will probably enjoy that, but always remember that horsefields tortoises are brilliant escapologists, and you need to keep a very close watch on him !
Angie