Does my tortoise need to hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naycoops

5 Year Member
Hello, we bought a male hermanns tortoise in November 2012 he is 6 years old and healthy and happy. Recently he's not been as active and when he's been out in the garden on warm days he's been burying himself in whatever he can and doesn't seem to have any interest in grazing. Is he wanting to hibernate? :tort: thanks for any replys in advance. Naomi :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know much about hermanns, however, I do know most will tell you they do not need to hibernate. Is he digging in at the hottest time of the day, as they will do that to get cooler. Torts will normal,y graze early in the a.m., hide in cooler spots for the hottest part of the day and then come back out to graze some more towards evening when it's cooler again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you and what are the outside temperatures like right now?

Naycoops

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Where are you and what are the outside temperatures like right now?

Hi I'm in hampshire in the uk. I'll only put him out when it's 18 c or warmer other wise he's in tort table with heat lamp and uv but still seems to send majority of time asleep in his hide

Naycoops

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I don't know much about hermanns, however, I do know most will tell you they do not need to hibernate. Is he digging in at the hottest time of the day, as they will do that to get cooler. Torts will normal,y graze early in the a.m., hide in cooler spots for the hottest part of the day and then come back out to graze some more towards evening when it's cooler again.

Hi. I put him outside on the Warmer days like 18 c and above he heads directly to the shade and just hides or burys himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.