Horns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
I've noticed over the past few days that Keyser has grown somewhat of a horn. I tried to brush it off at first before realizing it was attached to him!

Is this normal? He's about 2-3 months old (EST). It honestly just looks like an egg tooth, but those types of things don't suddenly appear. I'll get a picture up when I can, but I just wanted to check first to see if this was weird. :tort: I doubt it's permanent (maybe some sort of build-up?).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
do do do do......do do do do....(the sounds of the Twilight Zone music in the background)...

Well now I just HAVE to see a picture!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Not normal. Is it caked Mazuri? We need that pic.

I have seen larger head scales on some large adult sulcatas, but not on a baby.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Here's a picture guys.

The dried mazuri idea is an interesting one, but it's the same color as his skin, and hasn't softened/moved during bath time.

Attachments

• photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 201

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its stuck on food. They really don't develop a bumpy nose until they're quite large. After his next soak, try to pick it of (GENTLY) with your fingernail.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
NOOOOO!!! Thats definitely part of the tortoise, I just used some photo software to zoom in, and although the picture is low resolution you can see that is part of the little guy. Please take some shots from the front and both sides closer up.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree, it looks like it is part of the tortoise.

I would brush at it gently with a toothbrush, but not actually pick at it. I think a vet is in order.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
I'm thinking vet also. His head seems a bit round/chubby.. It's lacking the sharp angles I see in my torts...? Does anyone else see this??

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Update: Whatever it was, it's gone now. Either it really was a stuck-on piece of food and he finally scratched it off in the night, or he realized I was on to him being the first rhino/sulcata hybrid and quickly retracted it.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
knight_visionn said:
Update: Whatever it was, it's gone now. Either it really was a stuck-on piece of food and he finally scratched it off in the night, or he realized I was on to him being the first rhino/sulcata hybrid and quickly retracted it.

:tort snort:

M

Maggie Cummings

He doesn't have the sharply angled jaw that he should have, even if it is gone. His nose should be at the end of a pointed upper jaw. I am dying to see different angles and one straight forward shot. Right in his face...

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
for a moment i thought you had a rare one of a kind tortoisaurus rex!!!!!!!!!! >:D

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I wanna see more pics too, that is def a part of the tort, crazy, wonder what it will look like when he is full grown

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
WOW! THAT"S WIERD! If it doesn't grow too fast...and everything else is normal...then don't worry about it! Definitely need more pics...several angles.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Am I just crazy or am I the only one thinks the horn looks cool? But I am glad everything went back to normal though!

Status
Not open for further replies.