Horned toads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
Ok I was wondering if you guys happen to know anything about the horny toad lizards?
I was going to get 3 of them, but been told they never live, they are soooo hard to keep and HAVE to have Harvester Ants to live.. ect.. ect..

Anyone know if this is true?

I seen alot of videos of them on Utub where very young teens were keeping them just fine, so I'm confused.. :(

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They are a very tough lizard to keep. They are specialized to live on ants only. If you can get out of your getting them do.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know we kept horn toads as kids and we had an aboundance of ants we fed them. But never had more than one toad at a time. Seems my brother actually got an ant farm so that he could raise ants to feed them. Mom was really angry when he broke it to get the ants out. LOL

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
We always found them around the yard as kids (San Bernardino foothills). They are the coolest lizards IMO. We always kept them for a while but they rarely ate so we would let them go. We always kept reptiles and tried everything to get those Horney Toads to eat. They are picky little guys.

For some reason my family hasent seen them around in over 15 years. Sad.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Lol yepp that's what my mom just said a few minutes ago. She played with them as a kid she said they had to eat ants..

Well I'm still confused, I know I can get the ants.
But people are saying no don't get them they die, but then why do I see videos of people keeping them just fine, and other people say they can eat other stuff too not just ants.

I don't know I might give it a try we have ALOT of reptiles here and are pretty good with them..

chadk

10 Year Member!
How long are the vidoes? Do they show them getting the lizards as babies, then show them 3, 5, 10 years later and how well they are doing? For all we know, the lizards died right after the video....

lgdpt

5 Year Member
Corona
Another thing is....they are not friendly. Not all of them are biters, but many are. I never had one that was ok with being held. They really dont like people at all.

Lastly, they are kinda[/align] boring. They either bask or eat. Not a lot of movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.