Honu's Indoor Enclosure

honu925

Hello everyone this is my first post, this forum has tons of information and I think I am finally ready to build a proper indoor enclosure for my new tortoise. I discovered after some research here that the reason my tortoise is climbing the walls is because he is not happy with his enclosure so here I am.

Honu is a baby leopard tortoise who gets to go outside everyday (so far) and inside at night. He/she is currently kept in a large concrete mixing tub that I have filled with regular potting soil, coconut substrate(eco earth), and vitasand, as well as some plants. I recently added the sand because I was worried the eco earth was making it too moist. In the new enclosure I don't plan on using any sand to avoid impaction and hope to have it enclosed rather than keeping it open as it is now. I have a mini zoo med heating mat I plan to incorporate under a hide, as well as a ceramic heat emitter and 18" uvb fixture.

(Day: 85-100+, 10-30% humidity, Night: Low 70, <50% humidity) <---Are these conditions okay?

I have attached two designs, both very rough drafts but the dimensions and shape are what Im hoping to do. Im unsure whether to add windows since I have read that they will pace back and forth since they can see through it however others have said that they eventually understand that there is a barrier there and stop pacing.

The longest portion of the enclosure will be 4' and widest 3' 6". I'm hoping this will be big enough for Honu and maybe another baby leopard until he/she is able to live outside more permanently. Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also today I went inside for a minute and came back out to find Honu was next to some dog poop : /
I think I stopped him/her just after the first bite so hopefully its not enough to cause sickness. (triple checking next time to make sure no dog poop present)
Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.11.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 5.11.20 PM.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Your temps are too low and your humidity is too low. The temp day and night should be no lower then 80 with that the humidity needs to be 80% with a basking of 95-100. Please read Toms threads below in my post, it will help you with all this. The Sulcata threads will apply to a leopard.
Your enclosure looks good, I like the L shape. It should last one leopard a year, maybe two. I would add another as tortoises do not do good in pairs.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Wellington hit both things I was going to say. I like the enclosures. That is a good size to start out a baby in. Leopards hatch during the rainy season and need very humid hot environments to grow smooth. Tortoises are solitary and territorial. They are happy alone. In pairs one will bully the other. The submissive tortoise will suffer.
Welcome to the forum.

honu925

Thanks for the quick responses! Good thing I did not buy another baby. I will start on the enclosure tomorrow, which design of the two is best? I want to add the windows for the inside of the L shape but don't want to stress out Honu.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
From personal experience I strongly recommend you go as big as possible. You can always block off part of it when he's tiny but as he grows it will need to be bigger and it's easier to start out big than keep adding to it. And I would go ahead and put the windows in, if he is bothered by it you can always put a barrier along The bottom a few inches. He may not be bothered at all and it will give you a great way to look at him.