honulver with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

honulver

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I am new to Tortoise forum , live in Hawaii.
I recently acquired some Egyptian Tortoises , wanted to get input from experienced keepers to help keep my gang thriving.
I specifically had ques about what type/variety of food, mixtures, Mazuri? are recommended.
Also, I have a Mulberry bush in their enclosure, would anyone know if the ripe berries are okay for them to eat?
Any & all info would be appreciated.

billskleins

5 Year Member
Wow you are very lucky to find Egyptians in Hawaii - they have very strict import laws and I bet not too many have made it to the islands.
Mine have always loved mulberry leaves and hibiscus flowers. Give only organic or non sprayed plant food.

I try to feed as much collected wild edible weeds as possible but Hawaii is very different than my Texas location.

But also tort palatable grasses, grape leaf, any member of the chicory family such as radicchio or endive or frisée. Occasionally other dark green leafy greens such as kale.
Variety is the key. Even spinach rarely given and in small quantities.
I do give my adults Mazuri occasionally. I moisten it with warm water and add calcium powder plus I usually add dried orchard grass hay fines, dried dandelion and plantain leaf, rose petals.

honulver

5 Year Member
Hi All,
I am so sorry, for not responding sooner....I'm not tech savy..... thought my message didn't go through!!??!! :rolleyes:

Actually , Dept of Agriculture has a list of tortoises that are allowed into Hawaii, as long as the proper paper work is prepared in advance, we can import tortoises that are on the list.

I got my bunch from the East Coast, was told to give them mixed greens, grasses, NO Mazuri, so I have also been slowly introducing what I have growing in my yard, which are: Hibiscus leaves & flowers, Mulberry Leaves, cactus pads, dandelion leaves, I have Mazuri, I will give them a little of that too. Any other suggestions welcomed!!

They are sexually active.........in fact I found an egg in their enclosure!!???.... I really need help!! I buried the egg, being careful to keep it in the position that I found it........ should I have incubated it? IF so ,what would the recommended settings be ?

As you can see I really need help from all you experienced tortoise keepers !! I will try to get some pictures up, as soon as I can enlist help from my daughter. :D
Thank you for all your patience!

billskleins

5 Year Member
I've actually had babies hatch in their setup - but I usually find them and incubate them.
Did you find the egg on top of the substrate or buried. It has been my experience that non-buried eggs don't hatch. But I would incubate it anyway.
Also you shouldn't turn the egg after the first few days. After I put my eggs in the incubator, I try not to handle them at all unless I absolutely must.
I have used several commercially available incubators including the still air Hovabator.

honulver

5 Year Member
billskleins said:
I've actually had babies hatch in their setup - but I usually find them and incubate them.
Did you find the egg on top of the substrate or buried. It has been my experience that non-buried eggs don't hatch. But I would incubate it anyway.
Also you shouldn't turn the egg after the first few days. After I put my eggs in the incubator, I try not to handle them at all unless I absolutely must.
I have used several commercially available incubators including the still air Hovabator.

I found the egg on top, not sure which female laid it, nor how old the egg was, so I buried it just the way it was positioned.
I was told that 1 of my females has had hatchlings , the other 2 should be ready to lay , soon.

I have a Hovabator still air incubator, may I ask , what settings do you normally set your incubators at?
In your experience how long does it take before they hatch?

BTW, are your Egyptians left outdoors ?

billskleins

5 Year Member
My Egyptians are raised inside with occasional field trips outside.
I incubate at 90F for females and under 85F for males.
I place the eggs in deli cups with dry pumice or perlite and keep the humidity in the 40 to 50% range.

honulver

5 Year Member
Thank you, I will get my incubator ready, just in case. How long does it normally take before hatching?

My Egyptians are kept outdoors in an =10'X12'enclosure, I have had them for =8mos & they seem to be okay. Substrates are a mixture of soil & a little sand topped w/ crushed oyster shells.
Temp ranges from mid 60's[winter] to mid-high 80's ; Humidity=30's-80's most days. I was told that this would be a good climate for them, time will tell.... still waiting for my daughter to help upload pics.

How is the weather where you live?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aloha and E komo mai :) Lucky you living in beautiful Hawaii. Love it there.

BTW, new members first five post have to be approved by a moderator before they will show up. After the first five, they will show right away:)

honulver

5 Year Member
Mahalo Plenty!

Yes, hoping & praying that our climate will be compatible w/ these Egyptian Tortoises , enabling them to thrive outdoors.....time will tell.

Aloha:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.