My Egyptian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am a frequent traveler, so I always need to ask my fam to look after my Egyptian tortoise. Anyhow lately around 1 week ago, my tortoise started to eat less and sleep more. I also notice that he like to dig the hay and stay inside, is he start to hibernating?

Anyway below is the pictures of my humble Egyptian tortoise. We been together for almost 3 years now.

dgOBp61.jpg

Digging and staying in there.

gplneH2.jpg

The box size (UV not attached). Is the size appropiately well for my tortoise? The black, long box on the right is where my tortoise stay to rest/sleep. He like it because it is dark inside :)

WDDJZqL.jpg

His name is kuma-kuma :)

NJjNVmy.jpg

Slight pyramiding, yes?

WzpUlmx.jpg

From above.

2ik02z5.jpg

From front. Note that his eyes is a bit pale, is it okay? And the skin on his neck came out recently but I think its normal.

The diet is mainly Mazuri and varieties of greens. Bathing is approximately every other day.

Can anyone comment on my setting/tortoise condition? Any and every opinion are highly appreciated by me in advance!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The usual problem with activity is a change of temperatures. What are the four important ones? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?

Also what type of basking lamp are you using and how long are your lights on for?

The shell looks in pretty good shape to me. I think he would benefit from a bigger enclosure. I will let others comment on the best enclosure for your tort

Hybrid

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
The usual problem with activity is a change of temperatures. What are the four important ones? Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum?

Also what type of basking lamp are you using and how long are your lights on for?

The shell looks in pretty good shape to me. I think he would benefit from a bigger enclosure. I will let others comment on the best enclosure for your tort

Thank you very much, JM for your kind insight :)

My basking lamp are as below;
1 x PT-2192 Solar Glo 125W (inclusive UVA and UVB plus Heat)
1 x PT-2056 ET Porcelain Clamp Reflector Large

Turning it on for several hours daytime and longer during night time.

Do you think its fine?

Lou

10 Year Member!
The lights are fine to use, but whats more important are the temp range and temp questions that JoesMum posed. The correct light placed too close/too far or in a wrong location in the enclosure could still cause problems.

Also, to me it looks like its beak is very over grown.

What are the dimensions of the enclosure? it looks small.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Lou said:
The lights are fine to use, but whats more important are the temp range and temp questions that JoesMum posed. The correct light placed too close/too far or in a wrong location in the enclosure could still cause problems.

Also, to me it looks like its beak is very over grown.

Dang, now that you mentioned it, I notice the beak is overgrown. Need to do trimming soon.

Yep the enclosure is kinda small, will upgrade soon for bigger space for this little fella exercising his feets! :D

Also do you have any recommendation for the substrate? I am currently using hay and I read that it contained too much protein that will effect his kidney in a long run.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Use a flat slate or piece if stone for your tort to feed off and that will help with beak maintenance. Also, putting a piece of cuttkebone under the greens mewns the cuttlebone gets chewed by accident and that helps too :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Egyptians like a very hot basking spot. They will ise it whenever they feel like it. But I would put a nice warm area for that. Anyway you can mix some grass on his diet? That would be good. I would go with a bigger encloaure too. For one kleinmanni you can use 2X4 or 3X5. Mulch for substrate or oyster shells, decomposed granite. I would get rid of the hay. Looks good though. Pretty smooth ahells.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Use a flat slate or piece if stone for your tort to feed off and that will help with beak maintenance. Also, putting a piece of cuttkebone under the greens mewns the cuttlebone gets chewed by accident and that helps too :)
Brilliant suggestion! I just about to be worry on how and where to find device that can help me cut or shave the beak ^^"

tortadise said:
Egyptians like a very hot basking spot. They will ise it whenever they feel like it. But I would put a nice warm area for that. Anyway you can mix some grass on his diet? That would be good. I would go with a bigger encloaure too. For one kleinmanni you can use 2X4 or 3X5. Mulch for substrate or oyster shells, decomposed granite. I would get rid of the hay. Looks good though. Pretty smooth ahells.

Hello respected moderator! :D

May I know in more specific about the temperature that they prefer during basking? From what I read, it is about 28-30 Celcius during day and 18-20 during night (less or more 5 degree is acceptable). Is it correct by your definition?

I am now in the middle of ordering custom (60cm x 90cm x 15cm) wooden box for this little fella, and will replace the hay with other as you suggested!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Id go 38 to 40 celcius in one end for basking. The other temps are just fine for ambient and other end of enclosure. You can also put his food on a piece of flat stone. That will file his beak down.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

Hybrid

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Id go 38 to 40 celcius in one end for basking. The other temps are just fine for ambient and other end of enclosure. You can also put his food on a piece of flat stone. That will file his beak down.

Thank you for your suggestion. I shall try both setting, and will report back which temp is the little fella prefer :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No problem. But it needs to be both. 1 side hot and has UVB for basking. And the other side cool or not as hot like mid 80s. Dont make it all hot. That will be a bad thing to do. So once you get a bigger enclosure put a basking bulb at one side and nothing or lower wattage on the other side with a hide. Let him choose which temperature he wants during whatever time of day. Typically you will see them bask in the mornings to early afternoon then retreat until hours later for sleepy time.

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Lou said:

JoesMum said:

tortadise said:

Hey guys, do you think below size is good for this little fella?

uAm4IEt.jpg

Length : 89.5 CM (~3 feet)
Width : 59 CM (~2 feet)
Height : 6.5 CM (~0.2 feet) ---> I will use additional height if the little fella manage to climb the border :D

This is the overall picture of the tray;

iWvvuwB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.