Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
HI all. As you know, mazuri isn't available in the uk. This is due to the honey. I was thinking about it, is honey good for torts, is there nutritional value to it or is it just a tasty binder? Just wondering if it was worth introducing into their diets somehow?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
clare n said:
HI all. As you know, mazuri isn't available in the uk. This is due to the honey. I was thinking about it, is honey good for torts, is there nutritional value to it or is it just a tasty binder? Just wondering if it was worth introducing into their diets somehow?

In humans, its believed to fight bacteria and boost the immune system. I'm not sure if it has the same effect on tortoises.

(I suspect that its just a tasty high-sugar binder.)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I'm confused. Does the UK import nothing with honey as an ingredient?

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
No there are laws because imported honey carries things that can affect our bees.... Apparently.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
clare n said:
No there are laws because imported honey carries things that can affect our bees.... Apparently.

I can understand that. The honey bee population has taken a mysterious nosedive in the states, I can imagine you are having the same problem in the UK, so might as well try to protect them while ya can, I guess ;)

Can you find a mazuri alternative? I assume there has got to be one. Maybe you could ask a local zoo what they feed.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Our zoos and butterfly parks seem to give lettuce, veg and pellets, mostly pellets. yet have surprisingly old healthy torts... On not a great diet. They have weeds in with them too though.
The alternatives are nutrazu, hard to get hold of it seems and agrobs- from Denmark. (pre alpin testudo) I have some, it's basically dried out plants. It's high fibre low protein, it has cocks foot, amaranth, meadow fescue, dandies, false oat grass, Yorkshire fog,lady's mantle, plantain, bush vetch, cats tail, linseed oil and many more. Neither torts enjoy it. I just wondered if the addition of a little honey would benefit and persuade them :) I was recommended Komodo on here, but only occasional.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Mazuri doesn't contain any honey. The binder is molasses. The reason for the binder is to make extruded pellets that stay together.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
mctlong said:
clare n said:

In humans, its believed to fight bacteria and boost the immune system. I'm not sure if it has the same effect on tortoises.

(I suspect that its just a tasty high-sugar binder.)
I've heard of using a type of honey to help with wounds with lizards. I can't remember the band off hand, but I've heard it works very well.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Oh, I was told it was honey, and have read that in many places. I understand that it's used for binding yes. What's the issue with importing it then I wonder.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Maybe the UK is just a tough market to enter. The UK sites I have visited seem dead set against "pellets", and use that word as if it were a swear word. Everytime the subject is brought up, there are many vehemently against it. Unnatural, bad ingredients, too much protein, causes pyramiding, grow too fast etc...Just a guess though. Are there Purina products for sale in the UK? Maybe it's some sort of marketing agreement to protect UK manufacturers?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of you folks in the UK will have to help me remember...

Instead of Mazuri, some people in the UK use a type of lizard food. It is supposed to be every bit as good for your tortoises as the Mazuri is.

Anyone????

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Yvonne I believe it's the "Komodo" one that I use. Is it definitely as good as mazuri? Same sort of nutrition? My two LOVE it.

Status
Not open for further replies.