home made calcium blocks

TaraMaiden

Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire UK
Hello,
If Mods think this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it, thank you!

I have ordered food-grade Calcium Carbonate to make calcium blocks for my tortoise... plenty of info on how to do it, but I only have one youngster (so far!) so won't need to make much...
I have toyed with the idea of adding SPARINGLY some raw white of egg, to aid with binding, but really, just a tiny amount, almost negligible.
Thoughts on this?
I also have some pharma-grade activated charcoal powder, which is wonderful at picking up bacteria and toxins and puling it out of the system... again, tip of a teaspoon, any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any feedback!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Whilst calcium essential they only need a tiny bit mixed into fresh green leaves, I also provide cuttlefish which has small bites but it lasts a long time. I have never thought to make my own but make a small one to trial as it could go mouldy in the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I was always going to make my own and just never have. I know there are great recipes on this forum for it.
I wouldn't add raw egg. It will just go bad. Not sure charcoal would be needed. Too much might not be good for them.
@Kapidolo Farms might know more on this. I'm basically guessing with what I would or wouldn't do.

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
I was always going to make my own and just never have. I know there are great recipes on this forum for it.
I wouldn't add raw egg. It will just go bad. Not sure charcoal would be needed. Too much might not be good for them.
@Kapidolo Farms might know more on this. I'm basically guessing with what I would or wouldn't do.
I was thinking of egg-white to bind, but then, drying them out in the oven for 6 hours basically enables all and any water content to completely evaporate, so my concern with dampness would only be relevant if the block got rained on; then, yes, I'd probably remove it... good precaution, thanks for that point...

I think activated charcoal would be good in any type of feeding mistake; I'm pretty hot on what weeds I have in my lawn and what plants I'd keep out of reach, so I'm thinking it would be unlikely, but you know... in the event of...

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Depending on what tortoise you have and how old, humidity is helpful for smooth shell growth hence the comment about damp when you mist. I bought a calcium block once and it had a billion black insects all over it so another thing to consider.