Holding Humidity

ayleekay_przystal

Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
Hello all!!

So a few months back I got my Hermann Tortoise, her name is Prudence. We live in Western New York, where right now it is very cold. My apartment is super dry, even with the humidifier I have. I am having a hard time regulating the humidity in Prudence's tank. My husband and I have bought a mister (Monsoon Solo) , and even with that spraying regularly, the humidity is always super low. I've read that the range should be between 40% - 60%, and during the day when her lights are on, it's sometimes from 10%-%20. I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with some advice for keeping the humidity in her tank at the normal range?

Thanks in advance!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you moisten the substrate? The only way to keep it humid inside an enclosure is to cover or partially cover it.

ayleekay_przystal

Buffalo, NY
Well, like I mentioned, I have a mister that is on a 2 hour cycle. I have a spray bottle that I use also. How moist should her substrate be? & her tank has a grated lid so its pretty open to the environment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is she? An adult or hatchling?
What kind of gage are you using to measure humidity?
What are you using for an enclosure? Pics would help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks big for only a year old.
The humidity gauge needs to be lower, tort level. My guess would be the gauge doesnt work properly. Those puck type ones usually dont. Also if there is a screen top, that is letting heat and humidity out and block a lot of the needed uvb
What I have done before with a screen top is cut a hole just smaller then the light/heat fixture and set the fixtures over the holes. Then cover the rest of the screen with tin foil to help keep heat/humidity in.

ayleekay_przystal

Buffalo, NY
I haven't taken her to an expert, but that's how old the pet store said she was. So maybe she is older? But I appreciate the advice! Can you recommend a better humidity gage? As soon as my husband gets home I'm gonna cover up with foil. Hopefully that helps.

Looks big for only a year old.
The humidity gauge needs to be lower, tort level. My guess would be the gauge doesnt work properly. Those puck type ones usually dont. Also if there is a screen top, that is letting heat and humidity out and block a lot of the needed uvb
What I have done before with a screen top is cut a hole just smaller then the light/heat fixture and set the fixtures over the holes. Then cover the rest of the screen with tin foil to help keep heat/humidity in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont know any brands better then others but I get this kind pictured.
This is in my lizards cage so don't need high humidity.
You can get them at home depot, menards, ace hardware stores and they are inexpensive. Sorry not clear pic. It's an old acrylic tank that's been scratched by the saltwater dog face puffer I had years ago.
My guess would be older then a year. Probably more like 3-5 years, but not real sure on how fast they grow compared to my leopards.
20200205_180643.jpg

Sa Ga

MN
Is that a ping pong ball?

Jamie

Lol. I have one in my cage too! I'd read they sometimes like to push it/play around w/ one. It was moved about but I don't think it was truly played w/. Likely just pushed as Morla plowed through...

She did move it to a corner of her cage now and uses it for s pillow on the rare occasion where she lays in her soak dish.

Sa Ga

MN
Lol. I have one in my cage too! I'd read they sometimes like to push it/play around w/ one. It was moved about but I don't think it was truly played w/. Likely just pushed as Morla plowed through...

She did move it to a corner of her cage now and uses it for s pillow on the rare occasion where she lays in her soak dish.
20200205_192304.jpg

Attachments

• 20200205_192145.jpg
    20200205_192145.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4