When can I put my Hermann outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I recently bought a baby hermann tortoise and the breeder claims she/he is a western hermann or testudo hermanni hermanni and I wanted to know when I can put him/her outside. I live in Long Island, New York and the tortoise was bred in California. I planted grass seed and dandelion seed in the pen with lambs lettuce and dahlia seeds too.
Thanks --Ben

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
With a baby I would stick around mid 70s. As the animal matures the degree they can withstand are substantially lower. But as a baby I would be cautious of low temps outside and then high temps back inside.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Buy a temp gun - they're about $15-20 online and totally worth it. Even though our early Spring days on the East Coast feel warm, the ground can still be rather chilly! For a baby, I would wait until the ground and air temp are both safely in the 70's.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
When can I put my Hermann outside?

As soon you have a predator proof enclosure and the temp is over 60 degrees and then I would let your tort be out to begin with for 30 minutes....not if it is raining or wet where you are letting him scout about....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.