HIGHER PRICING

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
What does everyone think about the current hatchling prices? Seems like prices are getting higher and higher with every species these days!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I haven't been in the hobby for too long to notice it. Are all species prices going up?

May make sense with everything else going up in prices though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do things ever get cheaper? All the expenses are going up, so why wouldn't the prices go up with those expenses? I have not noticed a difference, but I have been shopping around for anything lately too.

Supply and demand also applies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Supply and demand also applies.

~ I spoke to a large scale local sulcata breeder a few days ago and demand for sulcata hatchlings is high, about $40 wholesale these days!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
~ I spoke to a large scale local sulcata breeder a few days ago and demand for sulcata hatchlings is high, about $40 wholesale these days!
It's not pricing look for pancakes you just can't find a adult to save your life ! That's worse then high prices !

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
It's not pricing look for pancakes you just can't find a adult to save your life ! That's worse then high prices !

~ I totally can relate, try finding quality mature female aldabra tortoises, next to impossible!

Last edited:

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I saw a sulcata hatchling in a local store for $289. Not enough to discourage an uninformed buyer, I don't think, but not cheap. Also, absolutely no information was given about caring for it, and it was in a 5 gallon terrarium. They also had wild caught Russians going for about $200.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
my two Burmese Black Mountain tortoise babies were almost $500 including shipping from Florida to Ohio. I had really shopped around for the best price at the time, though, and actually got a price reduction since I was buying two.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Good, the more people spend on one the less likely they will be to mistreat or abandon it.
That's why people spend $30,000.00 for a car and drive it into the ground or buy a house and turn it into a junk yard .

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Good, the more people spend on one the less likely they will be to mistreat or abandon it.

You'd think so, but I've seen people drop $2000 on a purebred cat, then freak out at the cost of basic vet care.

I've probably spent triple the cost of my tortoise on the supplies for her enclosure, and I don't even her her yet. When I get her, there will be a vet visit at a large referral hospital. It will probably cost twice what I paid for her. To me, this is a given. I think to most people, it's crazy.

Priorities. When it comes to pets, a lot of people don't have them in order. But increasingly, I think more people are coming around to the "pets as family" mindset. So there's that.