High yellow eastern box

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
They are going to clear and fill some prime turtle habitat! I thought I could save all the boxies that I used to catch there but only found this guy!

Attachments

• image-4274868968.png
    image-4274868968.png
    992.9 KB · Views: 133

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
He's beautiful. I would never encourage anyone to take from the wild, but what would these poor guys do when they start clearing their habitat? Couldn't you find any more to save. What will you do with him? What a shame....there is so much loss of habitat everywhere.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I hope they take precautions and don't kill any turtles while clearing the land...

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COLORATION!!!! At least you got to save one beautiful turtle, it's a shame about all the loss of habitat, then they turn around and tell people to stop "hunting them" because they're almost endangered? GEE I WONDER WHY..... :rolleyes: and dmarcus, it would be nice to think they would take precautions, but realistically I doubt they will... I mean, do they take every bird nest out of the trees before cutting? Heck no, the eggs just get to crack on the ground.... So so sad.....

acrantophis

5 Year Member
This is in northern NJ. There is little land for box turtles left, I'm afraid to say. Clear cutting for a new housing development. My father inlaw has a large outdoor turtle pen. He will quarantine it for a month and then put it in with the group. I will try to find more tomorrow! It's so sad. We used to find up to 10 turtles in one day. Even bog turtles just 10 years ago.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Thats too bad :(. If you need any homes for anymore you find im throwing it out there, ill adopt :)

If only the homing instinct wasnt so strong, they could be relocated to a new area. But from what ive read it us just detrimental (relocating that is)

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Are you sure he's a male? Something about it looks all female to me. Love how many of the spots cross the scute margins to meet.

Steve

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I was thinking the same thing, albeit a very colorful one.
supremelysteve said:
Are you sure he's a male? Something about it looks all female to me. Love how many of the spots cross the scute margins to meet.

Steve

acrantophis

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:

Steve

Btw. It's a female.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like this female has been around for a few years. ;)

terryo said:
He's beautiful. I would never encourage anyone to take from the wild, but what would these poor guys do when they start clearing their habitat? Couldn't you find any more to save. What will you do with him? What a shame....there is so much loss of habitat everywhere.

I agree with you on this one. Taking them from this area and putting them in another "wild" area might cause displacement issues with box turtles already established in that area, and not doing anything would kill some nice specimens that might still be where this one was found. If you try again, good luck! I hope you find more.

Status
Not open for further replies.