High humidity and shop light

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
HI all,
In the middle of building a new redfoot enclosure and wondering if I should be concerned about placing my 3-bulb T8 shoplight right in the enclosure with humidity levels at 70-80%? The other option is to make a cut out, get UVB permeable glass or cut out and extend the top through the enclosure (risk losing lots of heat & humidity). Worried about electricity and corrosion at that humidity level.

What are your thoughts on this?

This is the enclosure so far, 4x8 ft with a pondliner on the interior. The cut out is for my sliding glass doors. It will house four juvenile cherryheads.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have a 24" shop light with a 5.0 ReptiSun UVA/UVB florescent bulb inside my current enclosure, RH as close to 100%, with no issues.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have a 24" shop light with a 5.0 ReptiSun UVA/UVB florescent bulb inside my current enclosure, RH as close to 100%, with no issues.

Thanks, I figured as much but such high humidity always makes me nervous with electricity.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Depending on your wiring, just make sure the wire has a bit of a "U" shape before it joins the light. This will keep droplets from condensing and running straight into the fixture. Droplets will accumulate and drop at the bottom of the U.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy Toledo, Bat Man. Is it an optical illusion with mirrors, or is it a cut out front part showing someone standing inside the project?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Holy Toledo, Bat Man. Is it an optical illusion with mirrors, or is it a cut out front part showing someone standing inside the project?
Haha, it's a cut out with someone inside!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418660016.348779.jpg

The newest update is attached. Would rather embed the photo but on my iPhone

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been running all sorts of bulbs and fixtures inside my closed chambers with 80%+ humidity for many years with not a single issue.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Great information thanks for responding everyone!
Tom, your years of experience are especially helpful, thanks!