hiding tortoise

mr. tort lover95

Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello, so I have a russian tortoise that is not being very active. He spends his days in his hide and won't even come out for food. If I wouldn't drag him out he would probably sit in his hide until he died. I have not been able to find the answer on the internet and he is starting to scare me with the hiding.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
What is his enclosure like and what temps are you keeping him at? How long have you had him? From what I've read, russians are supposed to be pretty active.

mr. tort lover95

Youngstown, Ohio
His ensloure is a tortoise table made from a 4×2 table with walls. He has 4 rectangular planters in it where he has 3 planters made with reptibark and 1 with aspen. His hot spot is high 80s and hiding spot is mid 70s. His himidity is 45% in warm and 60 in cold. I have had him for 3 weeks but the first 1 and a half he was very active and loved to explore. He now just lounges around.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Eating well still? A hot basking spot should be closer to 90-95. They need this heat to process & digest food. Try uping it a bit.

mr. tort lover95

Youngstown, Ohio
Yep. Like I said if I take him out of the hide ge eats great but before this he he would eat on his own. I will try upping the temp. Thanks.