Dont understand!? (tortoise not coming out)

theBUGATTI99

My Russian tortoise was hiding all summer, than in fall and winter where he is more energetic. Spring is here and he dont eat or come out of his hut. I have to put him out under his light, i soak him every week and he poops, dont get him. Need help.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Where are you from? What is your diet like, how do you care for him, heat temperature, bulbs, supplements, what is it kept in, and what's your substrate? We need much more information to help you.

theBUGATTI99

I live in Nevada, i feed him kale, collard, and mustard greens, i use a tropical uvb light and a zoo med basking light, he lives in a home made table and i use the dry block substrade. His habitat gets around 90 degrees.

M

Maggie Cummings

Have you thought about taking him to the Vet? Does he get outside at all?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

In my opinion, tortoises should be set up in a large,safe and secure outdoor habitat, then brought inside during cold weather. Russian tortoises hibernate, so he could live outside until winter, then brought in to hibernate in a back closet or the garage.

You said, "...I soak him every week and he poops..." If he poops, that means he's eating. Maybe you just don't see him coming out???

If you think your tortoise has a respiratory infection, you need to take him to the vet. They don't get over that without antibiotics.

Please show us pictures of the tortoise and his habitat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Welcome to the forum to you and your tortoise.
Please take the wise advice given above for the sake of your little one.
Going to an vet experienced in tortoise care may be necessary, I would say.

theBUGATTI99

No no vet trips yet, when i first got him he would demolish is bowl. Now it looks like he takes a bite and leaves it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
With you being in Nevada, I would be concerned about the humidity being too low. Do you have a recording temperature and humidity gauge. They make a small digital one that seems to do a good job. Get your humidity up above 50% and your daytime temperature range from 70 to 95 degrees cool side to basking spot and I think he'll become more active.

I would also add more variety to your diet. Try dandelion, grape leaves, mulberry tree leaves, radicchio, endive, belgian endive, escarole, and healthy weeds.

Good luck!

theBUGATTI99

Reno has a 50% humidity. Its been dry lately, he looks fine. (No snot nose or foggy eyes, mouth breathing). His shell color is dim now but it colors vary between seasons.