Hide

Lilly_Two

Location (City and/or State)
New York
So my baby tort is now in the correct enclosure size thanks to you guys however I gave her two hides and she continues to climb to the top of both of them and falls right off continuesly getting stuck on her back, I'm not sure what to do for a safe hide since she continues to do this. It is a baby leopard and what I've read she is not a climber and she's done quite a bit of that. Any help I'm am so grateful for.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Can we get some pictures of what the enclosure and hide look like?

Being stuck on their backs is extremely dangerous for tortoises as they can't breathe or move around to control their body temperature. If possible, maybe switch to a hide that is steeper so she can't climb up or bury the hide into the substrate a bit more. For a baby tortoise, being stuck on its back can quickly kill.

Lilly_Two

New York
Can we get some pictures of what the enclosure and hide look like?

Being stuck on their backs is extremely dangerous for tortoises as they can't breathe or move around to control their body temperature. If possible, maybe switch to a hide that is steeper so she can't climb up or bury the hide into the substrate a bit more. For a baby tortoise, being stuck on its back can quickly kill.
This is the enclosure and the two hides I was using.

Attachments

• 20211122_205457.jpg
    20211122_205457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20211122_205535.jpg
    20211122_205535.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
The substrate seems deep enough so you can try to bury the hide a bit into the substrate to form a mound with a hole underneath, this should prevent her from falling off and flipping herself for now. Keep an eye on her and see if you can get a steeper hide that she can't climb up.

Lilly_Two

New York
Alright I did try burying it originally before taking it out the covered part of the hut is and built in hide, I just didn't think she'd feel safe enough, any recommendations on where I can get her a steeper hide? The shallowest part of the substrate is probably and inch deep.
The substrate seems deep enough so you can try to bury the hide a bit into the substrate to form a mound with a hole underneath, this should prevent her from falling off and flipping herself for now. Keep an eye on her and see if you can get a steeper hide that she can't climb up.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
A while back, my tortoise kept climbing and sliding down his log hide and I did the same thing @Sitona mentioned and it's worked well for me so I would also recommend that.

If you wanted something taller (and better at keeping in humidity), a recommendation I've seen on this forum is to get a plastic wash bin from Wal-mart and cut a hole out for the tortoise.

Lilly_Two

New York
A while back, my tortoise kept climbing and sliding down his log hide and I did the same thing @Sitona mentioned so I would also recommend that.

If you wanted something taller (and better at keeping in humidity), a recommendation I've seen on this forum is to get a plastic wash bin from Wal-mart and cut a hole out for the tortoise.
Might be my best bet to do something like that, Is it alright if I leave the hides out for now till I get 1? I have a few pebbles in there and she flipped over on one of those earlier as well. This has been the first full day in her new enclosure so she's still exploring all the space.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
Might be my best bet to do something like that, Is it alright if I leave the hides out for now till I get 1? I have a few pebbles in there and she flipped over on one of those earlier as well. This has been the first full day in her new enclosure so she's still exploring all the space.
I think that will be alright, I just wouldn't wait too long to get the new hide.

Also, what kind of UVB bulb are you using? If it's a type that screws in, it's possible it could be hurting your tortoise's eyes. The tube type T5 fluorescent UVB bulbs are best for tortoises.

Lilly_Two

New York
A
I think that will be alright, I just wouldn't wait too long to get the new hide.

Also, what kind of UVB bulb are you using? If it's a type that screws in, it's possible it could be hurting your tortoise's eyes. The tube type T5 fluorescent UVB bulbs are best for tortoises.
Alright it is a type that screws in ill turn the uvb off for the night and keep the nightlight and heat lamp on, she has a larger hide that's darker that the light doesn't go in that she can go in I'm just not sure how to keep that part warm for her.