Replace hide with leaf litter??

Agathaade

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hi all,
My tortoise Miguel (9/10wo Eastern Hermann) doesn’t use her hides (half coconuts) much, instead favors napping and sleeping under her substrate most of the time.
I got rid of the cool side hide to give her more romping space. She gets shade from various plants real and fake on that side.
I am questioning keeping the warm side one as I am nervous she could climb it and flip too close to her basking spot. She does use that hide a little though, for naps and sometimes overnight. I think increasingly so.
However her favorite sleeping spot is in the corner under the basking lamp. You can spot her butt sticking out in the photo I attached :) The substrate is about 3/4in deep (coir/cypress mulch/orchid bark)
I was wondering if adding leaf litter in both the corner and instead of the hide would be a good idea, so she can cover herself, be in the dark, and remove any climbing and flipping danger in that hot zone.

Would there be any drawbacks to doing that?

If none, what type of leaf would be best?

ABB37BCB-C0E0-4BB5-B550-F88CA166F806.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm kind of guessing here, but offhand I think it would be OK to add leaves. Keep her hide in there and see which she chooses.

She is bound to eat, or at least nibble the leaves, so non-toxic is the first consideration. Other than that, maybe something with large leaves?

I'm not certain on this. Please wait and see what others say.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Since I didn’t get other opinions I’m going with my best judgement.
I ordered some dry (organic) magnolia leaves on ebay, since magnolia is supposed to be safe for them to nibble on. I imagine they would be too tough for her to eat, but technically she could.
I’ll give it a try. She keeps sleeping under that hot spot under her basking lamp where the substrate dries out faster than elsewhere, so I’ll to put some leaves right there and see if it helps keep the substrate moist underneath.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would watch and see if she eats the leaves. Organic or not, you don't know what chemicals may have been used on the tree.
But hopefully, she won't eat them.