Hide/humid hide question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Alright I have another question. I'm setting up a 55g tank for my sulcata hatchlings. I'm going to have a CHE on a thermostat and a basking bulb on a separate fixture. My question is since I'm going to put the basking bulb on one end and the CHE towards the middle. Should I put a humid hide in the middle AND on the cooler side? I'm going to keep the top covered as well(hood with lighting also) plus I'm going to put foil or something over any openings in the back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If there is room, I would. Just be sure though your cooler end is not cooler then 80 degrees.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I can do that. I just wanted to make sure that was okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My CHE is also set up in the middle. It's on a thermostat set to 80 and I have the probe in the cool side corner. This ensures the temp is never below 80. Then you can put a humid hide anywhere you want :)

Happy tank decorating!

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
My CHE is also set up in the middle. It's on a thermostat set to 80 and I have the probe in the cool side corner. This ensures the temp is never below 80. Then you can put a humid hide anywhere you want :)

Happy tank decorating!

Heather

Thanks, I got the tank set up with two humid hides today. Still waiting on the thermastat and fixtures to come in they should be in mon or tues. I do have a thermometer and hygrometer in there plus a extra thermometer in the hide that will be furthest from the CHE. Is there such thing as too much humidity? It's already a little above 80 without the extra heat and water dish in there. It is coming together though :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Hide/humid hide question

JennBell0725 said:
Team Gomberg said:

Happy tank decorating!

Heather
Is there such thing as too much humidity?

My humidity is in the high 90's (even 99%) frequently.

The important thing to monitor with high humidity is temperature.
Humid + too cold = risk of a sick tortoise.
I don't know the exact temperature low that would contribute to a RI but we like to use 80F as the minimum. With that temp there have been no problems that I am aware of :)

Heather

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
That should be easy. We are in louisiana so its hot here to begin with. I'm going to do as you suggested and put the thermastat probe in the cool side corner to make sure it stays warm enough. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.