Hibiscus?? No thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, UK
Hello Everyone!!!

Aren’t the Hibiscus leaves considered Sully’s favourite food??
Well mine does not consider it at all!!!
I finally got my Hibiscus plant Saturday morning and I immediately took some leaves for my little one… she saw them, sniffed them and went away… I left the leaves in her enclosure… but nothing… I tried again on Sunday and today as well… same result!! :(

Have a nice week everyone!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They like the flowers too. However, some will some won't. Almost everything I have been growing for my leopard, he barely if at all touches:(. Maybe as they bigger, they will be more interested:)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I won't say favorite, My large male loves them but my two smaller ones are 50/50 on them. Also, if your tortoises doesn't know they are a food item she will not eat it. Just mix it in with other favorite foods until she recognizes it as food.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The flowers are what usually drive a tortoise crazy, leaves are a hit or miss.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Unfortunately in my plant there are no flowers yet!!! Just leaves!!!
I will keep trying to offer her the leaves and if it doesn't work... well, I will have a very nice hibiscus plant to watch growing!!!! :cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two factors here:

First of all your tortoise has never seen that item before and has no idea that is food. When introducing new foods to a tortoise, it usually has to be done gradually. Take a small amount of the new stuff and a large amount of the old stuff that they have been eating their whole life, finely chop it all up together and mix it well and THEN introduce it. You may have to do this for several weeks to get them to try something new. Gradually increase the ratio of new food to old.

Second, I don't know how it is over there, but all the nurseries here use systemic pesticides. They put these little granules in the soil and the pesticide is absorbed into the plant systemically. It can last for up to a year this way. So, at least here in the States, you can't just go buy a plant and start feeding leaves off of it. We either have to grow it from seed ourselves, or let it weather for a year and then feed only the new growth that comes after that. I would guess that our tortoises can smell the chemicals in the leaves...

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Tom said:
Second, I don't know how it is over there, but all the nurseries here use systemic pesticides. They put these little granules in the soil and the pesticide is absorbed into the plant systemically. It can last for up to a year this way. So, at least here in the States, you can't just go buy a plant and start feeding leaves off of it. We either have to grow it from seed ourselves, or let it weather for a year and then feed only the new growth that comes after that. I would guess that our tortoises can smell the chemicals in the leaves...

I did ask the place were I bought the plant and they told me that it should be free of pesticides...!!!
I don't know if they use the same system with granules in the soil in here... and probably if they do since the beginning the shop wouldn't know that.. As I don't want to risk my tortoise health, I will wait for new growth leaves (I will transplant the hibiscus in new and "clean" soil!!).
Thank you for the advise!!!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What type of hibiscus plant did you get?

I agree with Tom that most likely they are not eating it because they don't really know what it is. In some cases though, we have found that tortoises favor certain types of hibiscus over others. I wish I was more familiar with names to give some examples, but our favor the darker leafed variety (usually the flowers are red, pink, or yellow on these plants)...something to consider.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Neal said:
What type of hibiscus plant did you get?

I agree with Tom that most likely they are not eating it because they don't really know what it is. In some cases though, we have found that tortoises favor certain types of hibiscus over others. I wish I was more familiar with names to give some examples, but our favor the darker leafed variety (usually the flowers are red, pink, or yellow on these plants)...something to consider.

I am terrible with names!!! Especially with plants names!! I don't remember the species of mine and it does not have flowers yet!!
As soon as I get some new leaves I will try to chop it and serve it with other food...If she will start eating it her diet will benefit from it, otherwise I will have a very nice ornamental plant!!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.