Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tom , how many research papers have you or the vets you call friends published ????? where can i access them???? i've read a ton of research on turtles and tortoises , they have all been done by university professors/veterinarians and students ........ who do think has identified all these diseases ????? who think does all these necropsies, x-rays, pcr's , blood work , experimental treatments, figures out dosages, and on and on and on and on , the thought is ridiculous ....... vets i'd call friends , at the moment 5-6, over my lifetime dozens........... your vet friends are stupid people?????? or are they exceptions ?????
Everything you just mentioned, diseases, treatments for diseases, necropsies to identify pathogens, blood work, figuring out dosages of meds, and on and on, are all well within the realm of vet experience and things that vets DO learn in vets school. Most of them should be competent in any and all of what you just mentioned. NONE of these things are what we are talking about here.

We are talking about day to day husbandry. The results of feeding this way or that. Results from using one substrate over another. The result of not brumating a brumating species vs. brumating them as should be done. We are talking about basic care here, and THAT is what vets do not learn in vet school and THAT is what keepers like you, me, and so many others here excel at and have experience with. Hands on day to day maintenance and observation of different results from different husbandry practices.

What was my previous assertion? I said: "There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school" and there isn't! There is lots and lots of time devoted to all of the things that you mentioned. They DO learn all the details you listed, or at least they should be learning those things. We are talking about apples and hot dogs here my friend. Two totally different aspects of what vets do or don't know.

And by the way, totally unrelated to this thread, but I'll mention it since you are reading, I just got some NA spotted turtle babies to raise up. I read all your turtle posts and have learned a ton from them. I'm not so well versed in turtle care, so I will have questions for you from time to time. I won't be asking any of my vet friends questions about them unless I need help dosing meds or diagnosing a pathogen...

Last edited:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Who is the vet that said pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry? All their supposed experimentation over all these decades, yet not one of them figured this out?
this is from the university of vienna veterinary college .... was submitted in march 2002, was published in this journal february 2003 ...... they had to grow these tortoises , what year would you imagine they were actually studying this????? 1999???? 1998????
1w.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Tom you will have no problem raising your turtles , just as i would have no problem raising anything , it's what you do ........

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
this is from the university of vienna veterinary college .... was submitted in march 2002, was published in this journal february 2003 ...... they had to grow these tortoises , what year would you imagine they were actually studying this????? 1999???? 1998????
1w.jpg
I concede this point to you. Interestingly though, I refer to this study from time to time and many people refute it for reasons I do not understand. Their results seem pretty obvious to me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can we see some more pictures of the setup the tortoise lives in? What is the size of it, and what substrate is he on?