Should I stop attempted Hermann hibernation?

Oli Geneva

Location (City and/or State)
Versoix
I have 2 Hermann tortoises, about 5 yrs old. One has hibernate OK, as he did last year.
The other didnt manage to hibernate last year and I think is struggling again this year.
He hasn't eaten for nearly 4 weeks, after a 3 week preparation period I put them into hibernation 4 days ago (double boxed in approx 6 degrees centigrade). When I've checked he hasn't buried at all and has his head out (like last year). I checked just now and his head and all limbs were fully out and he'd done a poo!! (Last one before that was 10 days ago) he did the same last year. I've cleaned him up, he's awake and has just started moving slowly.
DO I TRY TO PUT HIM BACK INTO HIBERNATION OR KEEP HIM AWAKE THIS WINTER?
Are some tortoises unable to hibernate?
Thank you for your advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have never taken care of a Hermanns tortoise, but I would just keep this tortoise up for the winter. Place him back in his indoor enclosure with lights on for 14 hours a day, and just keep him awake.

Oli Geneva

Versoix
I have never taken care of a Hermanns tortoise, but I would just keep this tortoise up for the winter. Place him back in his indoor enclosure with lights on for 14 hours a day, and just keep him awake.
Thank you

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I don't brumate my tortoise and his doing great. Brumation is a debatable subject in captivity tbh.