Hibernation

Mumsmad123

Location (City and/or State)
Reading, Berkshire, England
I have a 2yr old hermanns tortoise and for the last week or so she has not been eating properly and some days I find her buried in her substrate in the cooler part of her enclosure, could she be trying to hibernate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Its up to you to do the right things to either encourage this if you want to hibernate her, or discourage this, if you don't.

Do you intend to hibernate your tortoise this year?

Mumsmad123

Reading, Berkshire, England
Yes. Its up to you to do the right things to either encourage this if you want to hibernate her, or discourage this, if you don't.

Do you intend to hibernate your tortoise this year?
I didn't intend to hibernate her she is doing it on her own and I dont no how to stop her. She hasn't eaten for 3 days and has taken herself to the cool part of her tortoise table. Can she hibernate like that and if she is should I turn the heat pad and basking lamp off?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I didn't intend to hibernate her she is doing it on her own and I dont no how to stop her. She hasn't eaten for 3 days and has taken herself to the cool part of her tortoise table. Can she hibernate like that and if she is should I turn the heat pad and basking lamp off?
You shouldn't be using a heat pad at all. Those aren't safe for tortoises. Here is the care info for your species. This includes info on hibernation, or not hibernating, and the best ways to heat them.

To stop hibernation, increase temps, increase light and increase soaking. Make sure the increased light is of the correct spectrum and brightness. I like LEDs for this. I find these things much easier to do in a closed chamber enclosure. In an open table there is no way to keep the cool end warm enough in a cold room.