Hibernation

Ceyda

Location (City and/or State)
Turkey
Hello. My hermanns tortoise is 3-4 years old. She is sleeping all the time so I think she’s trying to hibernate. Up until now we used to wake her up and feed her but idk what I should do now. I woke her up every week and fed her and let her go to sleep. Should I keep doing that or should I make it every 2-3 weeks?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello. My hermanns tortoise is 3-4 years old. She is sleeping all the time so I think she’s trying to hibernate. Up until now we used to wake her up and feed her but idk what I should do now. I woke her up every week and fed her and let her go to sleep. Should I keep doing that or should I make it every 2-3 weeks?
If she is trying to brumate (the correct word for what torts do), she needs a period of 2 weeks with no food at all, just water. This time is used to completely empty the gut so there is nothing in there while she's asleep.

If you are going to let her brumate, stop feeding her now. Wake her up every day and get her to walk around. Soak her daily to encourage pooping. Do this for 2 weeks.

Then let her sleep in a cool place til spring. Don't get her up or feed her anything for the time she's brumating.

Ceyda

Turkey
If she is trying to brumate (the correct word for what torts do), she needs a period of 2 weeks with no food at all, just water. This time is used to completely empty the gut so there is nothing in there while she's asleep.

If you are going to let her brumate, stop feeding her now. Wake her up every day and get her to walk around. Soak her daily to encourage pooping. Do this for 2 weeks.

Then let her sleep in a cool place til spring. Don't get her up or feed her anything for the time she's brumating.
Ohh okay thank you for letting me know?