Hibernation in Walnut Calif.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I have a 12 year old CDT and she has hibernated outside before. She is currently digging herself a nice burrow on an elevated part of her enclosure.
I was going to put her in a box during the winter, as you all talk about.
What exactly are the dangers of allowing her to hibernate in a natural manner?
Your advice is appreciated.

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Hi!

I have always boxed my CDT's for the winter. Dangers I'm worried about where I live are Mice and other critters, rain that might flood the burrow, it snows occasionally where I live too.

Also gives me peace of mind knowing I can check them day or night in their box and that they are warm enough and out of harms way

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
SamB said:
Hi!

I have always boxed my CDT's for the winter. Dangers I'm worried about where I live are Mice and other critters, rain that might flood the burrow, it snows occasionally where I live too.

Also gives me peace of mind knowing I can check them day or night in their box and that they are warm enough and out of harms way

Makes sense Sam!
Thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What exactly are the dangers of allowing her to hibernate in a natural manner?

Cold mixed with wet
Below freezing temps for prolonged period of time
Chewing critters

These would be some of the most worrisome, in my opinion.

Tomorrow I am on tortoise watch here for one of the CDTs--he is the most recent wild and is the only one that has a natural dug burrow and I am hoping he has not slipped in for the season already.....I would much rather have him indoors for the winter--but, may not have that option for him this year, darn it....hoping he pops up for a minute during the warmer part of tomorrow *fingers and toes crossed here*

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Not a cdt keeper myself but my Russians generally brumate just fine outdoors in my area of Sacramento. They are able to dig their own burrow or utilize one of the many tort houses i offer them. I generally trust their natural wisdom and leave them alone. It has worked for them for many years now.. although i have to admit to fretting every year that it rains heavily here.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In Walnut, you really have no concerns about her hibernating...except for predators. Rodnets are not going to be a concern, but you do have to take coyotes and raccoons into consideration. If your garage is comfortable, I'd play it safe and box her and store her til March or so! Good luck with whatever you decide! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.