Hibernating

mickey24

Location (City and/or State)
Reno nv
we have a sulcatta turtoise but we're not sure if it's hibernating at one point was flopped out and face white we put it's body only in warm water color came back head was out then went in now mid way out but still not moving and or opening eyes nor eating. Friends say hibernate 6-12 weeks without moving others say it passed. How do I know for certain. It was gift for my lil boy and he's upset. Please help. I was at work they sent me picture of my husband holding the turtoise.

Attachments

• IMG_20240329_105239.jpg
    IMG_20240329_105239.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
First thing is that Sulcatas don't hibernate. They can do "emergency shutdown" in extreme cold, but it can be lethal.

Please, read this post: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...box-heating-failure-in-frozen-weather.210626/
There is a "folded" block of text in the first post with detailed "reanimation" steps, follow it closely.

Next, ensure, that your tortoise never ever gets colder than 80F - set up a heated box or indoors enclosure for him, please.

I hope he will get through this. No tortoise is dead until it starts smells bad.

Please, ask more questions if in doubt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
we have a sulcatta turtoise but we're not sure if it's hibernating at one point was flopped out and face white we put it's body only in warm water color came back head was out then went in now mid way out but still not moving and or opening eyes nor eating. Friends say hibernate 6-12 weeks without moving others say it passed. How do I know for certain. It was gift for my lil boy and he's upset. Please help. I was at work they sent me picture of my husband holding the turtoise.
Sulcatas don't hibernate. You should tell your friends this. Sulcatas come from tropical regions near the equator and there is no "winter" as we know it there. Your friends that told you this are killing their tortoises by letting them get cold, as they killed yours. Should you want to try again, read through this thread, and look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom. There are many sulcatas out there in need of homes if you want to give it another try now that you have the right care info.