Hibernating

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
I have had Digger for a couple months now. He started indoors in an aquarium in my office. Built him an outdoor run where he has been for about 6 weeks and loves it. He basks, eats, burrows, sleeps and does not try to get out - at least yet. Days are getting cooler and shorter and he is digging deeper and sleeping longer.
I plan to bring him in when temps drop at night and put him out in the day. It is still 80 - 90 in the day here in Oklahoma. Predictions are for a severe winter.
It is now time to plan bringing him in during the winter - just to be sure I am ready. For wintering in the house, what are the basics?
Do I keep the lights on for 14 hours or shorten the time?
Does he need regular soaks?
Does he need some exercise? or will he sleep more?
Can I expect him to eat less?
Will he be less active?
Does all this vary with the individual?
Thanks loads ;)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes on the lights and soaks he will act the same .

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Do I keep the lights on for 14 hours or shorten the time?
I like to mimic summer with any tortoises I'm overwintering, so I would say leave the lights on 12-14 hours.

Soaks are especially important with the drier air in the house. I'm not sure what species or size of tortoise you have, so the amount of soaks will depend on that. But - you can never soak too much. :)

Does he need some exercise? or will he sleep more? Can I expect him to eat less?
If you are successful at mimicking summer with your temps and lights he will not sleep more and will eat the same.

Hope that was helpful. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do I keep the lights on for 14 hours

Yes.

Yes, I would do this daily.

Does he need some exercise?

Yes, well it will be more like bothering him on a routine schedule..

or will he sleep more?

Yes.

Can I expect him to eat less?

Yes.

Will he be less active?

Yes.

Does all this vary with the individual?

Yes.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I've always overwintered Nank, the idea of him sleeping so long is scary in that things can go wrong, I have no idea how to do it properly and even with research and knowing how people who do it all the time still can have problems, and he's my "buddy" to talk to and i'd be lonely.
Since all your questions have essentially been answered I'd like to put my opinion of slowing down up. Nanks been with me 2 winters now, there always seems to come a point in the fall where he slows down, like he knows its winter even though his indoor conditions don't change. I don't do anything different, just make sure he's still getting proper light and food and staying soaked, Then after a few weeks he's active as usual again, maybe getting used to the all-indoor routine.
All will vary from individual though so I was just sharing my experiences. We're currently in the slow stage.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Thanks to all for the answers. It will be routine as usual. :)