Winter Blues: Hibernating?

zoe98love

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Is anyone else beginning to experience the winter blues with their Russians? My Russian, Vlad, just turned a year old and hasn't been acting like himself for the past few weeks. He eats less, doesn't go to sit in his water dish anymore, isn't as active in his enclosure (usually he walks around all day and climbs over everything). I've turned up the temps and kept his light on longer but nothing has really seemed to help. I have to dig him up every day to soak him and he seems to be getting less and less interested in his food. I don't want to hibernate him until he gets older, so does anyone have any suggestions regarding on how to keep him awake?

Thank you!
Zoe

awesomecs

5 Year Member
;):tort::tort::):):tort::tort::tort::):tort::):tort:hmmm I have the same probe with my tory maybe someone will answer for both of us

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Mine as well. He/she said s quite inquisitive and I found making some changes within his enclosure helped make him a bit more active....rearranging the layout, adding some new plants, making a hill, that sort of thing. Also, feeding him his favorite or new foods seems to perk him up a bit. Also I added some extra light in my enclosure....just a regular bulb to make things a bit brighter.

Other than that I think you just have to gently remove them from their hides and place them by their food, or in a soak if and when you need to. After about a month of me intervening, he seems to have let go of the idea of a long night winter's nap. But i don't expect that his activity level will be quite what it was in the summer though.