Hibernating American Toads

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Does anyone here know much about keeping American Toads? I have 3. Two of them decided I'm assuming to hibernate, or try to. Their enclosure is kept around 24-26°, drops to about 22 maybe at night, which I didn't think was cold enough for them to try to hibernate. I know they detect the change outside and here in Ontario it's been pretty chilly out already. I have to clean their tank but don't know if disturbing the two that are buried will kill them? The other is out and about all the time and eats like a pig.
Thanks!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know nothing about keeping toads, but am very curious. I think toads are way cool!
I'll stalk...I mean, FOLLOW this thread!!! ;) :p

AmberD

Ontario
;):p
I know nothing about keeping toads, but am very curious. I think toads are way cool!
I'll stalk...I mean, FOLLOW this thread!!! ;) :p
Haha they are very cool. It's just strange the one is still out and about and the other two have been under for about a month. Same everything for all 3. Plus I have a heat lamp on for 12 hours a day to try to fool them its not winter! I don't mind if they are just burrowed but I'm scared to disturb them if it will somehow mess them up internally and make them ill.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've kept frogs and toads before, but I've never tried to hibernate them.

I don't think it will harm them if you disturb them and dig them up. Your temps haven't been anywhere near cool enough of them to go into hibernation.

AmberD

Ontario
I've kept frogs and toads before, but I've never tried to hibernate them.

I don't think it will harm them if you disturb them and dig them up. Your temps haven't been anywhere near cool enough of them to go into hibernation.
That's what I thought about the temps too, I know they burrow often, but they've been under for longer than normal, so I thought it might be due to winter around the corner here. Thanks for your input Tom - might be good to dig them up and see if they are still ok.