Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi everyone,

So i have read some posts on here in regards to hibernating their russian tortoise.
I live in ontario, Canada and was wondering, do I need to hibernate them? I read something on the internet and talked to someone from a reptile store about hibernating russians, and they told me i only need to hibernate them if i am going to breed them?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
You do not "need" to hibernate your russian. Also, if this is a newly acquired tort, you would not want to hibernate them until you are sure of its health. If you do choose to hibernate your tortoise, it needs to be in good, healthy condition. If the tortoise has an illness it can be made worse during hibernation. There are many threads here on hibernation, type in "hibernation" in the search box on the upper right corner. It's some pretty interesting reading.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Long Ontario winters are not a problem for them, since in habitat, they spend only about 3 months above ground. They are basically moles with scutes.
Of course, not outdoor hibernation, directly in your soil! Way too moist and dangerous. Special enclosure or fridge.
Also, as Laurie said, not this winter. It is already too late. Keep the tortoise outdoors for a whole season next year, feed it healthy weeds, let it getting fit and make sure it's not suffering of any illness or weakness.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Of course, not outdoor hibernation, directly in your soil! Way too moist and dangerous. Special enclosure or fridge.
Also, as Laurie said, not this winter. It is already too late. Keep the tortoise outdoors for a whole season next year, feed it healthy weeds, let it getting fit and make sure it's not suffering of any illness or weakness.

Ditto :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Will mine hibernate even if he lives inside?

In my opinion, this would have a few factors that would be in play...Have you had your tort at least a full years worth of seasons so that you have had time to get to know your tort and can tell if all is good with the tort? will you prepare your tort all year for brumation? In other words will your goal be to set your tort up for a healthy event, proper food offered, awesome hydration (soaking and consumption of water and high water content foods) proper exercise...then will you begin to shut down his artificial daylight and begin to regulate daytime, nighttime, temps in his enclosure to gradually cool to simulate outdoors? Essentially will you be able to simulate the progression of the cool season to trigger the evolutionary part of his life cycle? If so, and you have a healthy tort and you have a proper place to allow and promote a healthy brumation, then sure he can.

I would guess I am somewhat curious? Is your geographic location the reason your tort only resides indoors? :D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ascott said:
In my opinion, this would have a few factors that would be in play...Have you had your tort at least a full years worth of seasons so that you have had time to get to know your tort and can tell if all is good with the tort? will you prepare your tort all year for brumation? In other words will your goal be to set your tort up for a healthy event, proper food offered, awesome hydration (soaking and consumption of water and high water content foods) proper exercise...then will you begin to shut down his artificial daylight and begin to regulate daytime, nighttime, temps in his enclosure to gradually cool to simulate outdoors? Essentially will you be able to simulate the progression of the cool season to trigger the evolutionary part of his life cycle? If so, and you have a healthy tort and you have a proper place to allow and promote a healthy brumation, then sure he can.

I would guess I am somewhat curious? Is your geographic location the reason your tort only resides indoors? :D

No just because I've only had him since April and am still getting to know him, and because I haven't had the time to build him an outdoor pen.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good....I am relieved when I hear the tort will have access to outdoors as part of their long term housing....good stuff....also, may I please suggest that if you are wanting to promote brumation with your tortoise...to please read and research and evaluate the style and method that would work best for you and your tort ....and it will also give you a better sense of the process...and ask lots of questions if you feel that will help....:D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
ascott said:
Oh good....I am relieved when I hear the tort will have access to outdoors as part of their long term housing....good stuff....also, may I please suggest that if you are wanting to promote brumation with your tortoise...to please read and research and evaluate the style and method that would work best for you and your tort ....and it will also give you a better sense of the process...and ask lots of questions if you feel that will help....:D

I am going to do my research ;) (just to let you know I do my research on EVERYTHING)

Status
Not open for further replies.