Hi

Gleny

Hello. everybody. I'm brand new here! nice to meet you all. My name is Glen and I'm from the UK (south). I have very recently acquired a Tortoise. His/her name is "Sprout". I'm sorry to come in with asprout 1.jpg sprout 2.jpg massive question but I want the best for sprout. Could anyone please tell me what species he is? I have done many hours of research and have come up with nothing!! I am even more keen to know as I am new to keeping Tortoises and an id will greatly assist me finding the specific details for his care. At the moment I keep him in a box at night indoors and allow him to roam free in the day. I try to let him get as much sun as he wants and supply with plenty of water and food. However he has not eaten since I have had him (2 days) . Is there a special Tortoise heat lamp anybody could recommend? I have given him warm soaks each day and he has been drinking. I have been feeding: cucumber, lettuce, grape, grapefruit, dandelion, assorted weeds and clover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sprout 1.jpgsprout 2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Glen, and welcome to the Forum! What you have there is a male ornate box turtle (Terrapene ornata ornata) and it looks like his beak is a little long. They are native to the U.S. Here's a link to a pretty good care sheet:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-ornateboxie.htm

You'll have better luck with getting him to eat if you offer him meat - crickets, meal worms, night crawlers, small bits of chicken, along with some fruit - strawberries, cantaloupe, etc.

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! Good to have you here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Glen welcome to the TFO from AZ,USA . Good luck with your Box turtle .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

yillt

Welcome. Don't feed him as much fruit as it can cause stomach upsets if fruit is given as a large part of their diet.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
UK isn't a short form for an American state or? Because when you mean the United Kingdom than you found a turtle which is lost. THe United Kingdom hasn't got any endemic turtle kinds.