Hi!

Aim

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey everyone. I’m Aim and I live in southern North Carolina and I just brought home a little red foot tort. I don’t have pics of her yet because she literally just came home three days ago. I came here looking for information and a little help. The first 12 hours she burrowed and explored a little bit then slept. Her first full day here she ate some food while I was out and I found her burrowed in a new area closer to her warm basking side. Her second day, yesterday she chilled most of the day. I added a hide to her home and she really like it. So much that she didn’t come out most of the evening until it was soak time. I soaked her because she hadn’t come out over half the day for a drink or anything. Day 3, today she hasn’t been out of her hide all day. I assume she is acclimating and getting used to her new home.? My question is should I soak her this evening or just leave her be? She has me worried as when she first came home she was more active although she didn’t have a hide at that point. Her basking/warm side is at a steady 90 (too hot?) and her cooler/hide side is at a steady 72 (too warm?). Any suggestions? When I checked on her this morning her eyes looked good and she responded to my voice. (I haven’t named her yet)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome. I soak daily whether they like it or not.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Are you using some kind of light that's bright? Redfoots live on the forest floor so they are used to dimmer lighting...I have a thought that our resident Redfoot expert said Redfoots don't bask. he'll come on and correct me I'm sure...

Aim

North Carolina
Are you using some kind of light that's bright? Redfoots live on the forest floor so they are used to dimmer lighting...I have a thought that our resident Redfoot expert said Redfoots don't bask. he'll come on and correct me I'm sure...
Ohh yes I am using a uvb. How do I get her the rays she needs without the brightness? I am using a CHE bulb 150w about 18” high on the basking/warmer side. She is gravitating to that warmer corner, it’s about 88-90 on the floor there and basking height is about 95. It seems to me that maybe she prefers the warmer temp? She hasn’t been in her hide in two days which Is on the side that’s about 75-83. I’ve been soaking her each evening. After her soaks she eats and crawls right back to that corner. She seems healthy other than... is it normal for them to take a while to open their eyes when they are sleeping? Each time I take her out to soak she doesn’t open her eyes until she’s in the water. Could she be getting dehydrated laying on that hot side all the time??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ohh yes I am using a uvb. How do I get her the rays she needs without the brightness? I am using a CHE bulb 150w about 18” high on the basking/warmer side. She is gravitating to that warmer corner, it’s about 88-90 on the floor there and basking height is about 95. It seems to me that maybe she prefers the warmer temp? She hasn’t been in her hide in two days which Is on the side that’s about 75-83. I’ve been soaking her each evening. After her soaks she eats and crawls right back to that corner. She seems healthy other than... is it normal for them to take a while to open their eyes when they are sleeping? Each time I take her out to soak she doesn’t open her eyes until she’s in the water. Could she be getting dehydrated laying on that hot side all the time??

Honestly, I am a Sulcata person...just know a bit about Redfoots...Hang on tho I'll get the expert..ZEROPILOT