Hi-ya! I've been 'slightly' stalking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
this forum for about a month and I LOVE IT! :D

I honestly feel like I know you all and your tortie-kids. :rolleyes: My son said, "Mom, why don't you talk to them?" lol...so here I am~

A little background on me: (since I know about everyone else...lol~) My boys have allergies and the one has asthma, so nothing furry, feathery, or fluffy for us. We tried all of the 'non-allergenic' animals and everysingle one had issues with one or the other. We had 2 little Greeks about 7 years ago - Laverne & Shirley - found out later that Laverne was actually a 'Vern' and WOULDN'T leave poor Shirley alone! I would put them outside in the grass in their little fenced in pen and check on them every few minutes. The one time I looked out and they both were GONE! I was totally frantic! We live in WNY in a suburb where there are animals, but our yard is fully fenced with chainlink and it is sunk underground. We also have some large birds - hawks, eagles...but I refuse to think about that. I was so upset, crying, called my parents (yah...30ish years old calling for daddy...:p) and my dad came over and helped me look. We had just relandscaped our whole back yard with fresh mulch. We tore through the bushes and scooped out all of the new mulch to find Shirley tucked under an arborvite bush, but we never found La'vern'e. They both had very different personalities - Shirley would never venture far from me when she was out exercising...but Laverne was like "See Ya!" and would take off the opposite way of wherever I was. I called the breeder where I got them from in Albany and he told me that it is very likely that he climbed the fence because he had an 18" tort scale his fence and cross 2 busy streets to be found in a lady's garden! Put flyers in all the mailboxes in a 1mile radius of our home...actually saw people looking under their bushes for us which was wonderful, but no luck. So we had Shirley. I actually would've thought that she would be completely EXSTATIC that he was no longer ramming her and stressing her, but it was totally the opposite. She was miserable! Lonely, I believe. It was so sad to see her so mopey...I knew of a girl from the local fish store that had a couple torts so I went to see her. She took Shirley and she has been living with her little Greek and they are both very happy together.

So! Seeing as though the weather here is as crazy as it is, we decided to get a little redfoot. The size will be perfect to be in the house ~ Sulcata's would be out of the question here, (our whole family loves Bob!) and we wanted to have one large enough to wander the house for exercise each day - dog~like! :cool:

So on 2/23, little Ollie was delivered! (Oliver, if he ends up being a boy, Olive, if she winds up a girl! Fingers crossed for girl please! I saw enough 'flashing' to last me a lifetime with Laverne!!! lol!)

So, yah, I tend to get a bit long winded at times, but I just wanted to say 'hi' and thank you all for the information, and the entertainment in here! You all are a RIOT! :D

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
Welcome to the forum!!! Glad you finally identified yourself!

lol~ Thanks, I just put a few pics in the photo/video thread...had to photobucket them to get them in here, but I did it! :D I am totally in love with little Ollie! She is just the sweetest!

Sidenote: gonna need some cactus some point soon Spike! ;)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Tiffany :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tiffany:

524946gd84exe262.jpg

to the forum!!

So sorry to hear about losing La'Vern'e, but glad to see that you have a new baby to care for.

Please re-think the fact of wanting the tortoise to roam the floor of the house. Its too cold down there for a tortoise, the floor is too slick for good tortoise-feet traction and even though you are an exceptionally good house-keeper, there are too many foreign objects on the floor that he might eat.

I'm going over now to see your pictures!!

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tiffany:

524946gd84exe262.jpg

to the forum!!

So sorry to hear about losing La'Vern'e, but glad to see that you have a new baby to care for.

Please re-think the fact of wanting the tortoise to roam the floor of the house. Its too cold down there for a tortoise, the floor is too slick for good tortoise-feet traction and even though you are an exceptionally good house-keeper, there are too many foreign objects on the floor that he might eat.

I'm going over now to see your pictures!!

I agree about the slick floor issue! But you should see little Ollie go on the carpet! :p She really loves her 'out' time after her nightly soak ~ she struts about and comes to visit each of us that are sitting on the floor. I really can't believe how friendly she is being so little! :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tiffanymac said:
this forum for about a month and I LOVE IT! :D

I honestly feel like I know you all and your tortie-kids. :rolleyes: My son said, "Mom, why don't you talk to them?" lol...so here I am~

**** Welcome Tiffany*****
yes this is a great place with fun folks , and tons of information.

" Its an addiction" :D

Great story on your torts .. now post some pics!
JD~:)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Me, too! Me, too! :cool:

I'm off to the photo thread...:D

Welcome, Tiffany and family, and congratulations on your user-friendly Ollie R. ;)

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Welcome! Glad you decided to join in! I'm off to look at your photo's two!

M

Maggie Cummings

Have you ever laid down on the bare floor naked? If you did that you would feel how cold it actually is down there. On the carpet it's warmer but there are danger's of small stuff to eat like dust bunnies under the couch. Or maybe I just like saying 'dust bunnies'.:p Ha ha anyway it really isn't good for you to allow your tortoise to wander on the floor. Also there's drafts along the floor, so please believe Yvonne and me when we say it just isn't a good idea to have a tort on the floor...:)

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! ....and yep! TOTALLY addicting in here! lol! ;-)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome to the forum Tiffany. I saw the pictures on the other thread, and he's a beautiful tort. I have a lil' Cherry Head.
Maggie, next time you're on the floor naked testing out the temp., watch out, because Jordan might be coming over to visit you and Bob. Who knows who could be peeking in those windows.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group Tiffany, Ollie, and family!

I also strongly agree with Yvonne and Maggie. Please reconsider your thought to let the tort roam. Other problems with this include that the tort will get a sense of freedom and not like being enclosed ever again, and not having a place to feel safe and hide. When I first got my tort I thought letting him out for exercise would be a great idea and I now regret that I ever did this. If the enclosure doesn't allow the tort to exercise, then it isn't large enough. Most people underestimate how large of an enclosure is ideal for a tort. Please don't feel offended by any of our suggestions. We are a very strongly opinionated group that sometimes comes across rather harsh, as I'm sure you've seen.

We love pictures! Do you have any of Ollie and the enclosure? Best wishes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Welcome to the group Tiffany, Ollie, and family!

I also strongly agree with Yvonne and Maggie. Please reconsider your thought to let the tort roam. Other problems with this include that the tort will get a sense of freedom and not like being enclosed ever again, and not having a place to feel safe and hide. When I first got my tort I thought letting him out for exercise would be a great idea and I now regret that I ever did this. If the enclosure doesn't allow the tort to exercise, then it isn't large enough. Most people underestimate how large of an enclosure is ideal for a tort. Please don't feel offended by any of our suggestions. We are a very strongly opinionated group that sometimes comes across rather harsh, as I'm sure you've seen.

We love pictures! Do you have any of Ollie and the enclosure? Best wishes.

Your upset that you gave your tortoise some space to move around and it liked it? I never heard anyone recommend restricting the size of a tortoise enclosure for this reason.

I've raised tortoises in room sized pens on the floor. I watched the temps and didn't have any problems. Don't have pics as I didn't have a camera back then, but half my living room floor was a big tortoise pen. Their shelter was under my 100 gallon aquarium stand which was also in their pen. I hung the CHE and heat lamps from an outrigger coming off of the tank stand. They also had a half log hide and a potted ficus to hide behind, but they were always out.

We most certainly are an opinionated bunch and in my opinion, the benefit of exercise and adventure out weighs the possible risks found on the floor. Close off an area, check it for safety, check the temp on the floor and let him run around for goodness sake. Just use good old fashioned common sense and supervision. In the wild they walk for miles and encounter all sorts of hazards, yet they've been around for what, three hundred million years? I feel bad cooping them up sometimes. I do it as needed for safety, but I make my enclosures as big as I reasonably can.

I mean no disrespect to the above posters. I'm just sharing a different point of view.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but in actuality, even though your tortoise pen was the living room floor, it was really a pen and not the wide open spaces that we all share as we walk through the house. It was fenced off and all that was in there was the tortoise and his tortoise stuff.

Out of curiosity, did you use a substrate?

Tiffanymac

5 Year Member
OMGoodness! lol~! Ollie is definitely supervised at all times while out and that is only for like 15 minutes right now because she is little. My family room is 'sunken' so no worries there right now either.

I believe that every animal needs exercise and ENJOYS exercise....Ollie will walk around from one of us to another (we are sitting on the floor with her)...then she will stop for a bit to rest and turn her head and look at each of us - almost like seeing who is still there. You may think I'm silly or 'crazy' but she is really smart - she actually comes over to me when she's done and when I put my hand down, she climbs right on and I snuggle her up. She rubs her little head in my hand almost like telling me she loves me! Please note that I have always had a 'way' with animals and I'm not 'odd'... ;-)

...also, there is absolutely no offense taken by anyone's comments or suggestions ~ YET! ;-) LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.