Hi - We are New Denver Russian Tortoise owners

Johanna Philbrick

Today is my birthday!
Hi! We are so glad to find this forum. We have a male and female Russian tortoises - they are less than a year old. We are going today to buy some organic plants to put in their habitat. I'm hoping this will get the female to get out more. It seems as though she just likes to stay buried - and hisses a little when we give her a bath. The male runs around fine. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for a female - as she was much more active when we got her. I wonder if he is bossing her around?!? Is she hibernating? This is a new realm of pet for us - so any advice is welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Johanna,and welcome to the forum!

I wonder if you have fallen prey to the bad advice given out at the pet store. One is not able to sex a tortoise until it is about 5 or 6 years of age. Pet stores frequently tell people that their Russian tortoises are babies (because they are so small). But in order for a pet store to be in compliance with the federal 4" rule (turtles and tortoises must be 4" or more front to back in order to be sold in pet stores) a Russian tortoise is already about 5 or 6 years old or even older. At that age, yes, you CAN tell what sex it is.

Now, if you bought your tortoises from a breeder, and you know the hatch date, that's another story. Even then, you won't know the sex for sure. One can incubate the eggs at a certain temperature for female or male, but it's still not 100%.

OK, now to your problem. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. They are hard wired to be solitary. A tortoise does not get along with another tortoise...they tend to fight in order to chase the other tortoise out of their territory. So, what you are seeing is the less dominant tortoise trying to stay out of the dominant tortoise's way. This is a stressful situation for both of them. The best advice I can give you is to set up another separate habitat for one of them, or find a new home for one of them. They can live outside in a large yard in pairs because they would have enough room to establish their own territory outside, but indoors, in a small habitat, no, that just doesn't work out.

Johanna Philbrick

Today is my birthday!
The boy is from the pet store and I ordered the "girl" online. They have the different tails - but I have no idea. I'll put the separators between the cages and see if that helps. Thank you!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. Russians Rule ! Your getting good advice from some great people !