hi there, i would like some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georginasweeting

5 Year Member
The vet has said that he isn't blind in that eye and it is just where he rubs it on his leg where his head is tilted. He is a lot mor alert over the past few days and is moveing his legs a hell of a lot more, I think that going outside I te wrmer weather is helping. I will have a look into getting some critical care tonight, thankyouu for your advice, I will try and upload a picture soon, x

M

Maggie Cummings

georginasweeting said:
The vet has said that he isn't blind in that eye and it is just where he rubs it on his leg where his head is tilted. He is a lot mor alert over the past few days and is moveing his legs a hell of a lot more, I think that going outside I te wrmer weather is helping. I will have a look into getting some critical care tonight, thankyouu for your advice, I will try and upload a picture soon, x

If you can't find any Critical Care please send me your address and I will send you some. It sounds to me like he has a chance of surviving so in my mind that means you can't give up on him. Are you willing to take long term care of him? It will help for him to get baby food soaks. I use carrots as they have more Vitamin A then the others. Give him baby food soaks every other day and that will help give him some nutrition that he is missing. Please let me know about the Critical Care and I will be glad to send you some. I think that will be the best food for Dexta. How is he doing now?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That is the correct one. You mix it with a little water or baby food to make it runny enough to pull into a syringe. Then you squirt it down his throat. Has your vet suggested a feeding tube? They make an incision in the throat and put a tube down into the stomach. Then they tape the tube to the back of the carapace, leaving it inserted. You can just syringe the Critical Care in the tube once a day and follow the Critical Care with a tiny bit of water to flush the tube. With the tube inserted the turtle can still try to eat on its own. The tube doesn't inhibit eating.

georginasweeting

5 Year Member
the vet said to me as long as he is taking it from the syringe not to put him under the stress of having the tube put in, and he happily takes it at the moment and from his rapid progress in the last week i think that he may not need to be fed by syringe forever. i will order some of the critical care today and it should be here by the end of the week.

thankyou for your advice, any more would be appreciated.

georginasweeting

5 Year Member
he manage to flip him self over today! i know that its not ideal but its progress, can it harm him being on his back?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Well, it's certainly not ideal for him to be on his back. Can he flip himself back over or is he stuck once he gets flipped over? How is he doing it? Try and adjust the enclosure to make it so it would be difficult for him to flip himself. If left too long upside down, he can dehydrate or choke.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
do you have any photo's of where he keeps doing this at? It is probably something real easy to solve..

georginasweeting

5 Year Member
he does it on ever edge and corner, also out side in the run he does it! on his food bowl , in his bath every chance he has he flips himself over!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
georginasweeting said:
I caught dexta atempting to eat some of his greens today! Yay! I thinks he's getting better!!!

that's amazing. so happy for you & your little guy!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Way to go Dextra...still a long way to recovery, but seems like each day he/she gets better. Congrats Georgegina on your great care.

Status
Not open for further replies.