Hi questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
Hi every one :)
I got a 2 yr old red foot yesterday to add with my 5 yr old.
I was told it is a male but don't think so ;)
so correct me if I'm wrong or let me know if its to early to tell.

So Annabella is 7 1/2"
& new baby is 5 1/2"

Second topic
It has really dry brittle strip on its shell above its head any help on what to put on it or what it is?
They had the baby living n a tank with no substrate just a plastic grass roll not sure if this has anything to do with it.
Should I soak the baby a couple times a day for a while???

Third topic
I don't want to continue calling my new baby an it so names please!?! ;)

So pics

null-6.jpg

null-7.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-8.jpg

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Yes, he is very dry and has grown way too fast. Slow his growth down. Keep him very wet+humid. I think the new baby is probably more like 4 than 2.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
FLINTUS said:
Yes, he is very dry and has grown way too fast. Slow his growth down. Keep him very wet+humid. I think the new baby is probably more like 4 than 2.

How do I slow his growth down???
Also is it a boy???
And is Annabella a girl for that matter lol ;)
Do u think Annabella (my larger tort) is 5 or older???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I don't know a lot about RF, but they do tend to get shell rot easier then most others. Keep a high humidity, but don't let him/her live on wet substrate. It wouldn't hurt to give a soak, once every other day for a little while. Can't really help you on the sex.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) I don't know a lot about RF, but they do tend to get shell rot easier then most others. Keep a high humidity, but don't let him/her live on wet
You are correct however because of the severe nature of dryness he needs to be kept wet-not soaking but damp temporarily . Warm baths will help. What I mean by slow growth is don't feed loads.

Annabella is a girl and yes 5 or 6 years would sound about right for 7 1/2 years. The other is probably male but not sure

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
FLINTUS said:
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) I don't know a lot about RF, but they do tend to get shell rot easier then most others. Keep a high humidity, but don't let him/her live on wet
You are correct however because of the severe nature of dryness he needs to be kept wet-not soaking but damp temporarily . Warm baths will help. What I mean by slow growth is don't feed loads.

Annabella is a girl and yes 5 or 6 years would sound about right for 7 1/2 years. The other is probably male but not sure

Thank you so much!!!
Can y'all help on names

FLINTUS said:
wellington said:

Will this board help keep the humidity in until my tort table is made n a week or 2?

null-9.jpg

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
The board will help, but an easy solution that is also see through is plastic wrap. You can view them and it holds in the heat and humidity in the pen.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
jjsull33 said:
The board will help, but an easy solution that is also see through is plastic wrap. You can view them and it holds in the heat and humidity in the pen.

Thank you :)
Ill have to look in to getting some

So another question can these 2 breed now because there housed together.

abclements

5 Year Member
I also think that you're new tort is a male, but I'm not sure. If you could post a closer pic of just the tail area that would be really helpful. He is super dry, so that's the first thing I would get under control. Lots of warm soaks and keep that humidity as high as you possibly can! Spraying his shell multiple times a day wouldn't hurt either.

As for breeding, yes there is a chance that breeding will happen. But probably not for the first little while, since your new one is just getting settled in.

The board will help only a little bit... I would highly suggest and tin foil or plastic wrap "tent" over your pool. It will really help things out if you can get that humidity up into the high 80s! Just remember that you have to keep temps up as well!

You have two very beautiful torts!!

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
abclements said:
I also think that you're new tort is a male, but I'm not sure. If you could post a closer pic of just the tail area that would be really helpful. He is super dry, so that's the first thing I would get under control. Lots of warm soaks and keep that humidity as high as you possibly can! Spraying his shell multiple times a day wouldn't hurt either.

As for breeding, yes there is a chance that breeding will happen. But probably not for the first little while, since your new one is just getting settled in.

The board will help only a little bit... I would highly suggest and tin foil or plastic wrap "tent" over your pool. It will really help things out if you can get that humidity up into the high 80s! Just remember that you have to keep temps up as well!

You have two very beautiful torts!!

Hi thank you very much :)
I've soaked him once so far today for 30 min and sprayed him 4 times.
Glad he is prob not interested n breeding yet I'm not ready for that lol
Here are the pics hope it helps

null-15.jpg

null-16.jpg

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Regarding size, my Rosie is about 4.6" and two years old. Could be your new one got too much protein, or could be older. Hard to say since they all grow so differently!

Status
Not open for further replies.