Hi, my name is Susan. I have some questions about substrait for a new baby Red Foot

SChromik

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton Ab Canada
:) I will recieve my new baby this Wednesday. I have the enclosure and heating set up but I am wondering about substrait. I have read a lot about Cypruss mulch being best but it is unavalliable here in Edmonton Ab. What is a good alternative that will provibe the humidity my new baby will need?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Coco coir is great. You can mix it with any deciduous or hardwood trees. Cypress, hardwood, orchid bark, eucalyptus too.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
:) I will recieve my new baby this Wednesday. I have the enclosure and heating set up but I am wondering about substrait. I have read a lot about Cypruss mulch being best but it is unavalliable here in Edmonton Ab. What is a good alternative that will provibe the humidity my new baby will need?
Welcome! Hope your stay at the forum is as perfect as it's intended to be :)
Fertlizer-free & pesticide free topsoil works well. It's usually the cheapest/quickest way. NEVER use sand (may lead to death by impaction)! Also avoid these (coil bulbs):
View attachment 89835
They can cause blindness & a tired tort :(
Coco coir is great, I'd look for it if I were you, like states above. Hope you find it!

SChromik

Edmonton Ab Canada
Ok will try to find Coco Coir. Thanks for the heads up on the coil bulbs also as it is the kind we bought for the UV. I will return it and get a different type.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Spaghnum moss is great as well. Widely-used for growing plants, so you might can find it somewhere ;).

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Ok will try to find Coco Coir. Thanks for the heads up on the coil bulbs also as it is the kind we bought for the UV. I will return it and get a different type.
Get a mercury vapor bulb (MVB- gives heat & UVB) or a tube UVB:
MVB:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406924083.233452.jpg
A tube one:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406924156.460647.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Also, please show us the enclosure for early tips :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan and welcome to the Forum!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you can't readily locate the coir, go to any garden center and get yourself a bale of peat moss. I needed some additional peat moss for my gardening and tort enclosure and picked up a really nice large bale for $17.00. Our garden center had two brands both were imported from Canada. So it has to available there in your neck of the woods for a lot cheaper.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Susan welcome to the TFO from AZ . Your getting a lot of good advise . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to check out the red footed section and the substrate section for more info! :)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Get a mercury vapor bulb (MVB- gives heat & UVB) or a tube UVB:
MVB:
View attachment 89839
A tube one:
View attachment 89843

mercury vapors aren't that good for red's they don't care for harsh bright light it's best to go tube uvb

that's a nice little red you got there congrads and welcome to the forum

SChromik

Edmonton Ab Canada
mercury vapors aren't that good for red's they don't care for harsh bright light it's best to go tube uvb

that's a nice little red you got there congrads and welcome to the forum
Thanks I got a tube light for uv on the cool side with a ceramic heat that I leave on over night but have the murcury on the hot side for heat and uv I will have to change that then. Got the 18" tube because the murcury did not give enough light to that side. Will have to get another 18 tube and a standard basking light for the hot side?